Death In The Family

"What was that?" A police officer shouted, pointing his weapon in the direction of the sound.

Tina and Sherry looked around, realizing that Matt and Clara were no where to be found. Tina bites her lip, hoping it wasn't Matt but almost certain that it was.

Two police officers break off from the group to investigate the side street in which the noise had come from. They bring back Clara's lifeless body, still bleeding out from the bullet hole in her skull. Sherry hid behind Tina, burying her face in her shirt.

"I had to." said a faints whisper from behind her.

Tina turned around to see Matt, his head bowed down and shoulders slumped. She furrows her brow, not sure whether to be disgusted, or understanding.

Sherry heard these words as well, and as she turned around to face him, she immediately made up her mind about him. Her expression became cold and angry. She turned, and marched away from him.

The police officers assumed that Clara had been shot by criminals or looters taking advantage of the outbreak. They quickly buried her before beginning their journey again to the city limits. Tina, Sherry, and Matt looked over her poorly assembled grave. A cross made of two small branches marks her five inch deep grave. Anyone could simply step on her body if they so pleased,

"This was a waste of time." Matt declared, starting to walk away from the grave.

Tina looked at him, confused, "What are you talking about Matt? This is your guardian we're mourning. You should at least show some respect."

Matt shock his head, "We wasted nearly half an hour burying her. We could've been at the city limits by now."

He walks in the opposite direction of the group,

"Where the hell are you going?!" Tina called after him.

"Away from here. These people are wasting our time. We can use our powers to get out of the city faster."

"But what about Sherry?! We can't just leave her here!"

Matt sniffles. He wipes his nose with his forearm and shrugs, his voice shaking, "Whatever you want. I'm outta here."

Before she could refuse, Matt vanished. Sherry, totally awestruck, stares for several seconds before realizing that Matt has disappeared. She returns to her stern, cold look before grabbing Tina's wrist aggressively and pulling her back to the group. While Sherry was aware of their powers, this was her first time ever really seeing them in action. She suddenly feels bad, making Sherry feel like dead weight.

September 25, 1998 Raccoon City Limits

The sun was just beginning to rise out of the sky when the group reached the city limits. Tina, strangely not as tired as she'd expected to be, supported Sherry on her shoulder as they walked along the highway that connected Raccoon City to Stoneville with their group. As they weaved through the many cars that had been abandoned on the highway, they saw a large mass of people just at the city limits. In the middle of the sea of people, there were also army trucks, barriers and soldiers. As they drew closer, they realized that the people were shouting at the soldiers, and it soon became clear, that the soldiers were trying to keep the citizens in, and the others out,

"Please return to your homes!" a soldier shouted into the crowd with a megaphone.

"There are monsters attacking our homes!"

"Why won't you let us leave?!"

"I need to get to my family!"

The police officers in the group broke off an began arguing with the army officers, demanding that they be let through. The soldiers didn't budge and told them the exact same thing they told the civilians.

Tina looked at Sherry. She could easily leave the city without her, but then, who would protect Sherry? It was true she doesn't stand a chance against the zombies, but that doesn't mean she deserves to die, does it? Sherry, half asleep, squinted her eyes a bit,

"What's going on? Why's there so much shouting?" Sherry asked groggily.

"The army has blocked off the exits to the city." Tina explained.

"Why?"

Why indeed? Probably because Umbrella needs to keep their little pet project under wraps.

"They don't want other people getting hurt." Tina replied, hoping she wasn't lying.

Sherry nodded slowly, "Oh, I see."

If she was going to get Sherry out of the city, she'd have to find another way out.

Suddenly, a gunshot was heard through the crowd. An army officer had shot a civilian who'd snuck through the barricade and tried running past the officers. Sherry clenched her fists and tried her hardest to not look scared.

Eventually the convoy gave up and decided to return to the police station to seek refuge. Sherry soon passed out on the ground, and Tina was forced to carry her back to the police station. She wondered how her own guardians were holding up, if they were even still alive. She thought of Sherry, she must be worried sick about her own parents, who worked in an Umbrella laboratory and, unbeknownst to her, are probably being overrun by zombies right now. There had to be another way out of the city, Tina hoped. She couldn't leave Sherry behind.