P A R T O N E

----

W A S H I N G T O N  D C

2 0 1 4

"'Cause i'm with you 'till the end of the line."

The words ring through my head as I hold myself over the blonde man, metal arm pulled back ready to deliver the finishing punch. But I just can't. Something about those words made me freeze.

"Thank you Buck, but I can get by on my own." 

"The thing is, you don't have to." I place my hand on his thin, bony shoulder in an attempt to comfort him. 

"I'm with you 'till the end of the line, pal" 

Suddenly the glass dome of the bottom of the helicarrier collapses under us and the man, Steve, falls through. I watch him fall along with twisted pieces of metal and shards of glass that catch the light as the sun hits them at just the right angle. Without thinking I let go of the beam that I was hanging onto and dive after him, breaking the surface of the water where he did only seconds before. I see him sinking like a stone and race to get to him before he hits the bottom. With my metal arm I grab onto one of the straps on his shoulder and begin to push the two of us up to the surface. 

I breathe in the smokey air and struggle to find solid footing on the muddy riverbed. The super soldier remains unconscious as I lug him to the narrow shore and drop him to the grey sand. I stand over him, debating whether or not to stay. A drop of water falls from my hair and onto his beaten and bruised face as he stirs, readjusting his head and opening his mouth to gulp in the air. Before he can see me I turn around and lumber away while holding my side, not looking back once.

----

Thanks for reading the first chapter of my book.

This was just an introduction of sorts so other chapters will be much longer. This is a Bucky x Reader story that picks up immediately after this chapter. 

The reader was part of a program similar to the black widow program - this is a later version and is called the Black Swan Initiative. But more will be revealed later so don't get to confused just yet. 

Don't forget to vote and comment

-Sam