Prior Incantatem

God Serena approached Natsu, who scrambled to find his feet, to support his own weight before the ropes were untied. God Serena raised his new silver hand, pulled out the wad of material gagging Natsu, and then, with one swipe, cut through the bonds tying Natsu to the gravestone.

There was a split second, perhaps, when Natsu might have considered running for it, but his injured leg shook under him as he stood on the overgrown grave, as the Death Eaters closed ranks, forming a tighter circle around him and Acnologia, so that the gaps where the missing Death Eaters should have stood were filled.

God Serena walked out of the circle to the place where Simon's body lay and returned with Natsu's wand, which he thrust roughly into Natsu's hand without looking at him. Then God Serena resumed his place in the circle of watching Death Eaters.

"You have been taught how to duel Natsu Dragneel?" said Acnologia softly, his red eyes glinting through the darkness.

At these words Natsu remembered, as though from a former life, the dueling club at Hogwarts he had attended briefly two years ago... All he had learned there was the Disarming Spell, "Expelliarmus"... and what use would it be to deprive Acnologia of his wand, even if he could, when he was surrounded by Death Eaters, outnumbered by at least thirty to one? He had never learned anything that could possibly fit him for this. He knew he was facing the thing against which Bull had always warned... the unblockable Avada Kedavra curse – and Acnologia was right - his father was not here to die for him this time... He was quite unprotected... "We bow to each other, Natsu," said Acnologia, bending a little, but keeping his snakelike face upturned to Natsu. "Come, the niceties must be observed... Makarov would like you to show manners... Bow to death, Natsu..."

The Death Eaters were laughing again. Acnologia's lipless mouth was smiling. Natsu did not bow. He was not going to let Acnologia play with him before killing him... he was not going to give him that satisfaction...

"I said, bow," Acnologia said, raising his wand - and Natsu felt his spine curve as though a huge, invisible hand were bending him ruthlessly forward, and the Death Eaters laughed harder than ever.

"Very good," said Acnologia softly, and as he raised his wand the pressure bearing down upon Natsu lifted too. "And now you face me, like a man... straight-backed and proud, the way your mother died... "And now - we duel."

Acnologia raised his wand, and before Natsu could do anything to defend himself, before he could even move, he had been hit again by the Cruciatus Curse. The pain was so intense, so all-consuming, that he no longer knew where he was... White-hot knives were piercing every inch of his skin, his head was surely going to burst with pain, he was screaming more loudly than he'd ever screamed in his life – And then it stopped. Natsu rolled over and scrambled to his feet; he was shaking as uncontrollably as God Serena had done when his hand had been cut off; he staggered sideways into the wall of watching Death Eaters, and they pushed him away, back toward Acnologia.

"A little break," said Acnologia, the slit-like nostrils dilating with excitement, "a little pause... That hurt, didn't it Natsu? You don't want me to do that again, do you?"

Natsu didn't answer. He was going to die like Simon, those pitiless red eyes were telling him so... he was going to die, and there was nothing he could do about it... but he wasn't going to play along. He wasn't going to obey Acnologia... he wasn't going to beg... "I asked you whether you want me to do that again," said Acnologia softly.

"Answer me! Imperio"

And Natsu felt, for the third time in his life, the sensation that his mind had been wiped of all thought... Ah, it was bliss, not to think, it was as though he were floating, dreaming... just answer no... say no... just answer no...