Eighteen- I

Chapter poll: Which PW would you choose?

spear/pearl bracelet

mace/watch

whip/belt

poison dart shooters/gloves

keys/nunchuck

............................

Despite being a training ground for future world-protecting agents, the Royal Academy didn't look too different from an average preppy high school at first glance. The whitewashed walls were covered in 'Student of the Month' photos, advertisements for a series of school plays, and decorative posters of corny inspirational quotes. Only the youngest students paused for a moment to stare at the Heirs as they passed by in the crowded hallway- most of them looked quite accustomed to seeing them there. "Since we're both seniors, my grandfather arranged for us to have all the same classes," Juliana said to Chase. "That way, I can show you around."

"That's... thoughtful of him," Chase nodded as he looked down at the crumpled schedule in his palm to see what his first class would be. Differential Equations I. His eyes lit up in shock- he'd never heard of a high school offering math courses beyond Calculus, but as a math enthusiast, he sure wasn't complaining.  

"Oh, classes here are accelerated far beyond national standards," Juliana explained, noticing his surprise. "But I'm sure you won't have any problems with that, considering that a high Aptitude is usually accompanied by an equivalent intellect." 

As they made their way into the large lecture hall that would presumably host their math class, Chase looked down at his schedule to see what he'd be doing the rest of the day. 

Advanced English Language Composition, Computer Science II

Looking good so far, he thought as he took his seat beside Juliana in the third row, close enough for him to clearly see the front of the hall but far enough away not to appear awkwardly eager. Only, his relief at the relative familiarity of his schoolwork was instantly erased when he glanced at the second half of his schedule: classes he would be taking after his hour-long lunch break. 

Arcanese History: 1450-Present. Organic Chemistry. Applications of the Power- Lecture. Applications of the Power- Lab. 

"What is...I'm not ready for," Chase whispered loudly, his finger hovering over his schedule. His gesture was so noticeable in the quiet, still classroom that it attracted several turned heads. 

"Oh, don't worry about your afternoon classes," Juliana laughed. "We're not going to throw you into the water entirely unprepared. For your first few weeks- or as long as it takes you to get acclimated- you're going to be working with a private tutor during the afternoon block. She's an Order Commander- one of the best we have. She'll get you up to speed in our more...unusual subjects in no time."

With these reassuring words, Juliana turned to face the front of the hall. Chase watched as the teacher walked in, a middle-aged man with narrow glasses perched on the edge of his nose and a neck that jutted forward as he struggled to gather his lecture notes. For a moment, Chase expected some kind of grand introduction. Perhaps he'd be asked to stand, or welcomed to the Academy in some other way, but there was nothing. The teacher simply stepped up to his podium and pressed a button on its side, causing a holographic screen displaying the day's lesson to appear behind him. 

Chase lazily fished a notebook and blunt pencil out of his backpack, feeling like he was already behind the students around him, whose desks were all covered in various colors of highlighters and pens. Most of them were too focused on the lecture to even take notice of the new face around them. Something told him that staying on top of his class was no longer going to be easy. 

As the lecture went on, Chase found his notes getting progressively messier until he could no longer distinguish his w's from his y double-primes. The material wasn't particularly difficult- at least not for someone like Chase- but it was the speed that killed him. If he even looked up from a second to watch the Arcanese students' pens flit incessantly over their pages, he found himself several lines of a proof behind and having to catch up to what the teacher was saying. 

By the time the class was over, he felt like his brain had turned to mush. To his greatest relief, English was a much smaller class and more discussion-based: the time his classmates took to form their thoughts into sentences was plenty enough for him follow what they were saying, but computer science passed in a flurry of concepts and variables that was just as mentally taxing as differential equations. For the first time in his academic career, Chase found himself excited for lunch. 

"So, what do you think so far?" Juliana asked as they made their way to a quaint food court situated in the middle of campus. It was only enclosed on three sides, so that students had the chance to eat either indoors or outdoors without really moving much. A gigantic stone die in the center of the circular area doubled as a fountain, spewing water into the basin around it at regular intervals. 

"It's... challenging, for sure. But not impossible. I kind of like it, actually," Chase smiled. 

"Let me guess- first time school has ever been hard?" Juliana cocked her head to the side. 

"Yes, actually," Chase laughed, turning his head down so as to not seem too conceited. 

"Well, your afternoon isn't going to get any easier," Juliana remarked as the two of them picked up sandwiches from the closest food line and found seats at a table toward the back of the room. "Your tutor, Luna Chu, is... well, let's just say she doesn't care if you're noble or royal. She's insanely demanding with everyone she teaches. My grandfather assigned her to you because he was sure she was the only one who'd have the gall to really beat you into shape despite your position. And he wasn't wrong."

"That's reassuring," Chase gulped, swallowing a bite of bread. 

"Oh, I don't mean to scare you. Chu is truly the best teacher you could ask for. She's unbiased- she tells you the cold, hard truth no matter who you are, and sometimes that's what you need to improve." Juliana shook her head as Hayley skipped over to their table, a burger and fries in her right hand. Adrian tagged closely behind her, but didn't share her cheery mien. 

"How'd it go?" she asked cheerfully as she put her food on the table.

"Pretty well, actually," Chase nodded. "I think I'll be able to do okay here, if I put in the effort."

"Truly impressive," Adrian laced his palms together. "I wouldn't expect an American to be able to hold his own here. You should be thankful the King assigned you such an excellent guide," he added, looking over at Juliana as he took his seat directly to her left. 

"...thanks," Chase replied tepidly. Something about the tone of Adrian's voice made him think that he wasn't giving him a compliment.