Chapter Two: The Remote

Pete sighed as he picked up the guitar, placing the strap over his shoulder. He ran his fingers down the strap and closed his eyes. "I miss you Keith... This one is for you." He choked back tears as he opened his eyes to inform a stagehand about Lillian. There was something about her that he couldn't shake.

Her calm but large green eyes that had dark circles around them, the baby fine hairs that slightly covered a small dark freckle in the middle of her forehead, that slight pudgy belly that went with her pleasant Marilyn Monroe figure, and her sort of hooked nose.

Lillian had somewhat reminded Pete of Keith, yet with a bigger nose, larger eyes, and small-thin lips. Her hands, he could tell, were meant to be percussionist hands. It almost gave him a chill when he thought about it.

__________________________

"So Lillian, what did you think?" Roger smiled at the mousy brown haired woman. "What?!" she yelled as she got closer to him, "I'm terribly sorry, my ears are ringing!"

Pete chuckled and sat next to her, speaking in a subtle but loud manner into her ear, "Roger asked how did you like it?" He smiled at her and the ringing in her ears calmed down.

Lillian shifted in her seat, showing Pete the back of her hair, "Oh very much Roger. I'm surprised how much Classic influence your songs have."

Roger looked her straight in the eye, "Pete's the genius of the group, violins in Rock 'N Roll. I owe everything to him." Lillian smiled and looked over at Pete, "He loved you a great deal. He never stopped talking about you three."

By that point, Keith was leaning his head on Pete's shoulder and sobbing. Lillian sighed as she watched his tears stream down his tarnished-white face. "He gave me the chance to do something with my life." Kenny smiled, trying to make small talk.

Pete suddenly got up, feeling a weird melancholic chip on his shoulder, "We all miss him. Especially his daughter Mandy. Did you know Mandy?"

Keith's head jolted up, "MANDY AND KIM!" He looked straight at Lillian and she nodded, giving him the chance to go find them, but he didn't move. Suddenly she realized, he couldn't find them, it was up to Lillian to help him.

"But Kim is otherwise engaged to some high roller and I don't fancy him at all." John spewed out, never speaking a word all night and never again after that. Lillian sat up and twiddled her thumbs. "Well gentlemen, it's late and I should be going. Who is willing to show me the way out?" she said as she collected a few things. Pete volunteered immediately, feeling an obligation.

__________________________

"Lilly, I hope you really fancied it. This was Keith's favorite gig." Pete began to tear up. He never cried and he was never going to.

Lillian smiled faintly at him as she tried to nudge Keith to get him to stop crying. Pete smiling for the first time tonight, planted a kiss on her cheek instead of her hand. "I'll see you sometime Pete." she smiled and hugged him tightly.

"Wait, we're not coming back to Detroit for probably, years. May we stay in touch?" Pete was trying to find all the possibilities of interaction: telephone, telegram, flight. Smiling Lillian pulled out her pocket book, writing on one of the papers inside before tearing it off, and handing it to Pete.

"This is my telephone number. I guess it's the best we can do for now. Good luck with the rest of the tour, darling." Before walking off, they exchanged one more hug, this time it was for Keith.

__________________________

Lillian sighed, trying to hold onto a distraught Keith, but she gave up after a couple seconds. If she knew that Keith would be so upset, she wouldn't have gone. "Are we going to look for Mandy and Kim?" Keith cried at her. By that point, Lillian was terribly annoyed with him, "Why don't you go haunt them for a bit Moon?!" She rolled her eyes and walked ahead towards the bus stop.

"But you have to help me find them! I need to find them!" Keith yapped in her ear. "Listen Moon, I don't know you and I never did. I thought this was just a one time thing! Go hang out with Pete and Roger and whatever their names are!" Lillian practically screamed, thanking God that no one was around.

But that was just it, Keith had vanished, he was gone, not a trace of his ghostly apparition in sight. Lillian groaned and began the long hour and a half bus ride, alone.

__________________________

When Lillian finally reached her apartment, it was cold and lonely. Having Keith around was a huge advantage to her, someone to talk too, no boring talks to yourself, thinking you're crazy. She plopped on the bed, groaning as soon as she heard some ruckus in the kitchen, she smiled.

Keith came bounding into the room as a smirk was planted his face, "I'm sorry." Lillian nodded and said her apologies as well, "Mandy and Kim?" Keith quickly changed the subject, since he had no idea, "I saw you making those eyes at Pete, he's got nice eyes."

Lillian quickly blushed, covering her cheeks with the blanket, "Do you have all you need?" Keith quickly nodded before heading to watch television on her sofa, "Lilly!" Lillian quickly ran into the living room, laughing as Keith figured out how to pick things up, such as the remote, "Good job!"

Keith lost it, dropping the remote on the floor, "God damnit!" Lillian picked up the remote, pressing the cartoon channel for Keith, before heading back to bed, "You'll get it eventually, keep trying."

__________________________

Lillian awoke to a knock on the door, she mumbled, getting up sleepily. The clock read six am, so she figured whoever was at the door, was nuttier than a fruitcake.

"Pete?" Lillian said as she opened the door, "Whats going on?" Pete quickly replied, "Can I come in and talk?" Lillian looked at him for a minute, before nodding, "Yeah, yeah."

The brunette left him to the living room to make coffee as she wasn't quite awake herself, "Why are we talking?" Pete took a huge breath, before sitting on her counter, his back against the cupboard.

"I can't feel Keith anymore.. I mean he was there with you... Now he's not." His breath hitched as he looked over at her.

Lillian grabbed his hands, trying to calm him down, "I was mad and... He just left." She looked down, continuing to hold his hands. Pete picked up on of his hands and gently played his thumb and forefinger on her chin, pulling her eyes up to meet his, "I-I miss him..."

Lillian quickly placed her hands on his cheeks, pulling him closer to kiss him.

**I'm sorry I'm finished with this story. Please enjoy this last chapter. Didn't really have a purpose.