Chapter One

"Uh Skylar, what are you doing?"
I look up to see my big brother, Mason, standing at my bedroom door. I look down at the floor to see cut up dolls on the floor all around me. I look back at him and say, "um..." I look around me and say, "I don't know."
"Where'd you even get these dolls?" he says picking one up. I shrug and he drops it. He squats down by me and looks at me in the eyes. I hate when he makes eye contact with me because his eyes are so beautiful. It's like staring into the ocean because his eyes are ocean blue.
"Do you need something Mason?" I ask.
"No, but mom is worried about you. Did you know that?" he replies.
"I know she is. There is nothing I can do."
"Actually, there is a lot you can do."
"Like what Mason? She'll just send me to a psychiatric hospital."
Mason stares at me in silence. He doesn't blink and it starts to make me feel uncomfortable so I get up and sit in a chair. He snaps out of it and stands up. He looks at the dolls and back at me. "Just clean the dolls up Skylar and come downstairs," he says and walks out of my room.
Mason is the most caring brother a person could have. I am just lucky to have him. I stare at the dolls, then look at a lighter that was by my laptop. I get out of the chair and put all the cut up dolls in a bag and grab the lighter. I run downstairs and to the backyard. "Skylar?" I hear my mom say. "I'll be back. Just...just throwing the trash out," I reply and run out the door.
I dump the dolls in the fire pit and pull the lighter out of my pocket. I set the dolls on fire and watch them flame up, turn black, and turn to ash. My parents would most likely think I'm a psychopath if they saw me doing this. After the dolls finish burning, I go back inside and my mom is waiting in the living room. "Did you need something mom?" I ask. She looks at me and says, "so your school called." I look at Mason who was sitting on the couch across the room. He looks at me and shrugs. "Ok and?" I say. 
"You haven't been showing up to your classes. Is everything alright?" she says.
"Yeah, I just needed a break from school is it."
Mason starts laughing and says, "then why show up to school in the first place?"
I don't answer him and I sit down on the floor. My mom looks at me concerned and I say, "there is nothing wrong with me. I am perfectly fine."
"Ok then. If you say you're fine, then ok," my mom says and leaves the living room. I get up from the floor and throw a pillow at Mason and leave the living room. I go back to my room and close the door. I grab my phone and open Kik. There is this boy on there who never leaves me alone and it seems to have been a habit to where he texts me everyday. Out of like a hundred text, I replied like once or twice. There was no text by him and I whisper, "thank god." I turn my phone off and put it on the night stand. I lay back and close my eyes.
I live in darkness and my family lives in the light. I wish I could join them, but things drag me down to the dark. They burry me and don't release me. They capture me and torture me. They tell me I need to suffer. I don't even know who "they" are. I might be a crazy person. My phone rings and I ignore it and the doorbell rings and a siren goes off in a far distance. I sit up and go to see who is at the door. Its a man with blonde hair, brown eyes, blue jeans, a white shirt, adidas, and looks 6'2.
I hear him say Mason's name and Mason appears at the door. Mason does a hand shake with him and lets him in. I'm assuming they are friends. Mason's friend look up and his eyes meet mine. I walk back to my room and lock the door. I will not be meeting him any time soon. I grab my Beats and put music on and blast it so I cannot hear anything. I close my eyes and lay in silence. It's so peaceful.
***
I open my eyes and sit up. I don't know how much time went by, but I know I had a great nap. I take my Beats off and open my door. I could hear Mason talking. I go to his room and the guy with the white shirt was with him. "Look who is awake," Mason says, "did you have a good nap?"
I nod and say, "who is this?" Mason looks at the guy and back at me. "This is Tom, my friend from middle school."
"Oh," I reply.
"Nice to meet you Skylar," Tom says.
I give him a thumbs up and walk away. I could hear Mason laughing and Tom questioning him. I go to the kitchen and my mom is cooking. "Finally, you've been sleeping for about three hours," she says.
"It was a good nap," I reply.
"I'm sure it was. Anyhow, your father won't be home any time soon."
"Why?"
"He has a major case that's taking forever."
"Oh."
"It will just be me, you, Mason, and Tom."
"Oh."
"I know you were planning on spending time with your father, but next time."
"I guess. Why can't he just give the case to someone else?"
"Because Skylar. That's not how the FBI works."
"Well it should."
I sit down and watch my mom stir the food. It smelt fantastic. Mason and Tom join us in the kitchen and Mason sits next to me. "So Tom, how long have you been friends with my baby boy?" my mom asks.
"Mom seriously?" Mason adds.
"What? You are my baby."
"Correction, I was your baby. I'm not a baby anymore."
"You're still my baby."
I look at Tom and we start laughing. Mason pokes me and says, "the baby is right here."
"Excuse you," I say.
"Younger one always is the baby of the house."
I could see my mom smile. It's been a long time since we could all be like this again. After, Nicky died, the family lost their path and I became depressed. "What are you stirring up Mrs. Henderson?" Mason asks. She looks up and replies, "my specialty." Mason and I laugh and Tom nods. The doorbell rings and we all look at the door. Mason and I scramble out of the chairs and run to the door.
I beat Mason to the door and open it. It was a police officer. I let Mason handle it, but I stand by his side. The police officer says, "is Mrs.Henderson here?" I look back at her and she puts the spoon down and joins us. "Hello officer. Is there a problem?" she asks.
"No there is no problem. I'm here to inform you on the incident with your brother, Jack Crowe."
"What incident?"
"Mr. Crowe has been charged with second degree murder."
"What? My brother would never."
"I'm afraid that he did. He will be joining court in two months top."
"I don't understand though. Who did he murder? Why?"
"He murdered his wife because he caught her cheating."
"Oh my god. Okay thank you for the information."
"You're welcome ma'am," says the officer and walks away. My mom closes the door and goes back to the kitchen. She finishes making the food and we all eat. It was an awkward and silent dinner.
***
I didn't know Jack was capable of murder. No one under this roof knew. When that officer came to the door, I thought he was about to tell me my father died because that's what they do in the movies. Thank god that wasn't it. It is pretty late and Tom is still here and it's 11:48 p.m. It is raining pretty heavy, so I understand why he is still here.
A knock meets my door and I open it. It's Mason and he looks upset. I let him and close the door. "What's wrong?" I ask.
"Mom is pretty upset. She locked herself in her room," he replies.
"I think we are all upset here."
"But mainly her because it's her brother. The brother who was always there for her and now he's a murderer? It doesn't make sense."
"Oh. Well, he'll be meeting his friends in jail."
"What?"
"I don't know, but not everything always makes sense."
Mason looks out the window. We sit in silence for about five minutes then I tell him to get out of my room because I was tired. He leaves and I lock my door. I turn my light off and hop in bed. It was pretty cozy, so I won't be leaving for a while. I close my eyes and I dream. I dream....