chapter twelve.

"Guess who has distant relatives that they didn't even know existed until earlier today?" I ask rhetorically once Ruel opens his front door. I had been knocking for five minutes. He pulls a pair of earbuds from his ears when I start talking.

"What?" He questions, opening the door wider so I can step in. I walk right past him, too many thoughts running through my head.

"I know! It's crazy!" I blurt as I take a seat on his couch, folding my arms over my chest and huffing.

He sits next to me, resting a leg on the white coffee table in front of us. He leans his head back, turned on its side so he's facing me.

"And you'd never guess what else!" I uncross my arms and fling them into the air before I rest them in my lap. I play with the hem of my dress between my fingers.

"And what would that be?" He asks. I turn to face him. He looks wildly amused.

"Do you remember when I ran into you and that one girl at the café last week? I believe her name was Charlotte?" I ask, playing dumb. Of course I am sure that her name is Charlotte. She's all I've been able to think about lately.

"I do." He looks away from me when I say her name. Though his face shows little to no expression. Maybe that's a good sign.

"You might be delighted to know that she's my cousin."

"And why would I be delighted to know that?" He asks. He sits up, bringing a knee into his chest and throwing an arm over the backrest.

"Because isn't she like — your girlfriend?" I stutter. I almost instantly regret using that word when I see his face. He looks to be somewhere in between angry and glum.

"No. What makes you say that?"

"I just assumed." I shrug. I cross my arms again.

"Well you're wrong. We only hung out that once. She was a friend of Jude's but I had no idea. She was serving as some sort of spy for her, I'm not really sure. It was weird so I ended it pretty much after I saw you."

I exhale as soon as he's done speaking. I hadn't realized how tense I was. Days of stress and worry seem to dissipate when he explains. I should have known I was being silly. It's not like him to date someone so soon after such an ugly break up.

"I'm sorry." I mumble. My head falls forward.

"Don't be. I can pretty much assume how it must have looked to you. She was very — erm — touchy." He says quite uncomfortably.

"I'm glad I got that off my chest." I say and exhale. I look around the room, noticing that a few guitars and small synthesizers are scattered about.

"Got it off your chest? Have you been thinking about it?" He teases, nudging me with his elbow. "What? Were you jealous? Got a crush on me, Alberry?"

My face falls, but I try to look neutral. My throat falls into my stomach. If only he knew.

"You wish." Is all I say before standing up and straightening out my dress. "What's all this about?" I ask, motioning towards the instruments.

"Just working on some new stuff."

"You don't ever stop, do you?" I walk over to an acoustic guitar resting against a stool. I pick it up and strum a few cords.

"No, not really. I don't think I'm allowed to, anyways." He says, running a hand through his hair.

"Is the company asking you for a bunch of new stuff?"

"Yep. They want to know that I am serious before they start giving me assets." He grabs a twelve string out of its case on the floor.

"So you're super serious about all of this?" I ask. I rest my hand on the body, resting my head on top of my hand.

The soft afternoon glow cascades through a set of windows behind him. I wish is could take a picture of this moment. There's something about the sun behind him while he holds a guitar the seems so much like home.

"I am. It's all I've ever wanted to do." His voice is calm, easy.

I can't do anything but spare him a soft smile.

"Would you like to come to a party with me tonight?" He asks suddenly, as if he had been debating if he should or not.

"No."

"What? Just like that?"

"Yes."

"Please?"

"Absolutely not."

"Genevieve you're my best friend. Please? We don't have to stay for long."

"No."

He stares at me intently for a few seconds; attempting to break me. I shake my head at him.

:

Three hours later, I stand in front of my bedroom mirror, trying on a few different outfits. I roll my eyes in annoyance, clothes are not my thing.

I finally decide on a black romper. I breathe in deeply when Ruel texts me that he's here. I can't believe he was able to convince me to come to a party.

I've never had the greatest of luck when it came to parties. I remember the first one I went to. It was in my freshman year of high school, and I was excited to go. I thought that it was going to be a great way to start out high school. Though as soon as I got there, I lost all of my friends and ended up losing my left shoe.

Then in my sophomore year, I wanted to give partying another shot so I went to another. Not only did I lose a shoe again, but someone spiked my lemonade. I woke up the next morning on a pool floatie wearing a dress that wasn't mine.

I quickly decided that strappy heals are the way to go tonight. Besides, I have Ruel with me. I'd like to think he'd keep someone from spiking my drink.

So when I leave my apartment and hop into his little black car, I try to feel optimistic.

"Ready?" He asks, turning the stereo up.

"No, not really. I'm only here because you forced me to to come."

"Not true!" He bickers.

I just roll my eyes in response.

"You look nice, by the way." He says.

I can feel my cheeks getting hot. "Thanks." I say. I look down at my feet.

After about ten minutes of soaking in my chronic nervousness, he stops the car in front of a building that looks almost like a warehouse.

Colorful lights beam through the windows and people stand all around the building, coming in and out. I recognize a few of them from school.

I step out of the car slowly, suddenly feeling as though I've made a bad decision.

But when I start walking towards the building, feeling more anxious then ever, I feel Ruel grab my hand. He holds it in his as we walk.

"You'll be fine." He says casually.