In a Heartbeat - Kleinsen

Jared ran down the sidewalk to the school, glancing furtively behind him. He saw a head of blond hair coming down the path and panicked, diving behind a tree. He peeked out around the trunk, a lovesick smile on his face. Evan Hansen was walking towards the front doors of the school, reading a book with a tree on the front. Jared sighed, leaning forward on a branch. Why did his lovesick heart have to be so… lovesick? He leaned more, but the branch cracked slightly when he put weight on it. He jumped, hiding back behind the tree. He saw Evan, who had turned to look at the tree when he heard the sound, shrug and continue walking toward the school.

Jared breathed in relief, hitting his head gently against the tree. He stood up and started walking for the school doors as well, rubbing his eyes in frustration. He was such a hopeless romantic, but he was hopeless at romance. He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts when he ran into something.

That something was Evan.

He fell backward hard, opening his eyes to see Evan looking down at him with a puzzled expression. He scrambled to his feet, brushing off his clothes in embarrassment and running behind another tree.

Evan looked after Jared in confusion. He bent down to pick up his book, which he had dropped in the collision, and he noticed a small object a few feet away. He went over and knelt on the ground, realizing that they were a pair of squarish glasses. He looked around for Jared to return the glasses, but he wasn’t anywhere in sight. Evan shrugged and pocketed them, deciding Jared must have gone into the school.

It took Jared a full 30 seconds to realize he’d lost his glasses. He’d lifted his arm to wipe the sweat from his eyes when he noticed their absence. He silently cursed himself. He could see fine further away, but he could barely see or read without his glasses. He glanced back at where he’d fallen in the dirt but could see no people or objects standing there.

Wait. No people?

Jared shot up from the ground, rushing into the school. He looked around desperately for looking for him, but it was hopeless. He’d just decided he’d better go to the Principal to see if anyone had found them when someone ran into him yet again.

Jared braced himself to hit the ground, but the impact never came. Instead, he felt a surprisingly sturdy arm around his waist, almost dipping him to the ground. He was helped back upright and a hand held a blurry object near his face.

“I think you dropped these.” Jared slipped his glasses over his eyes, just to realize he was face-to-face with Evan Hansen yet again.

What was with Jared’s luck today? Was this all some sort of elaborate prank?

Then Jared noticed how quiet the hallway had become. Looking around, he saw there was a sort of ring of people around Evan and Jared. They all seemed to be frowning at him, whispering hauntingly.

‘Freak,’

‘Monster,’

‘You belong in Hell.’

Jared tried to convince himself it was all fake, that it was just him overreacting, but even Evan was looking uncomfortable. Jared started to tear up.

Jared ran away from Evan once again, his heart ripping in two as he did.

--------------

Evan watched in panic as Jared ran out the doors of the school, a barely audible sob escaping his mouth.

As soon as the spectators disbanded, Evan came to his senses. He’d just watched the boy he loved’s heart completely break, and he’d done nothing about it. He sucked in a strangled breath and ran out into the front yard. Why was Jared so good at hiding? He searched throughout the oversized courtyard, looking and listening for any sign of him. Finally, he reached a large oak tree, the beginning spot for most couples in the school. There was a quiet sobbing behind the tree and Evan walked quietly around it to see more clearly.

Jared was sitting under the tree, his back against the bark, his legs crossed. His head was hung above his lap, arms crossed around his figure in an attempt for some comfort. He was crying like he’s lost all hope for love, and in a way, he had.

He leaned his head back against the trunk and took a shaky breath, tears still streaming slowly down his face. He looked beautiful. As if hearing Evan’s thought, Jared suddenly noticed his presence. Jared turned away, fruitlessly attempting to wipe his tears on his shoulder.

Evan knelt down in front of Jared, who was still avoiding looking at his eyes, focusing instead on his own hands, which now rested in his lap. Evan reached his hands slowly towards the shaking pair belonging to Jared. Jared flinched, his hands moving away, but Evan just gently grabbed them. He squeezed lightly, Jared finally looking up into his eyes. They were full of kindness and understanding, compassion and tenderness, but most importantly, love. They were looking at each other with eyes full of love. Evan sat down next to Jared, interlocking the fingers of their adjacent hands. Jared leaned his head on Evan’s shoulder, Evan putting his head on top of Jared’s.

And they sat there, hearts beating as one.