Chapter 7

Callie's P.O.V

The man who called himself Bruce announces that it's time for them to leave. I'm not going to lie, I'm super disappointed. There's something about them that makes me forget what a miserable life I have. 

Suddenly I hear a noise, it doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard before, I look up quickly to see that the man named Tony is standing and his legs are being covered in this red material, my jaw is basically on the ground, what is happening right now?! 

Within seconds his entire body is covered except for his face and he turns to me "Let's get this thing off of you," he says as he points a finger at me and suddenly a stream of light projects out of it, cutting through the chain around my neck. Instantly I reach to touch my throat, I feel so... light! I look down at the chain that's fallen to the floor, I have to be dreaming, this cant be real! I look back at the man in the iron suit, I feel incredulous and simultaneously terrified; I've had a chain around my neck for as long as I can remember. My face must give away my internal feelings because he smiles at me, but his eyes are full of sadness.  

He finally breaks eye contact with me and says, "Okay, let's send this place to hell." As he turns away his face is covered by a slab of gold that kind of looks like a face, but definitely not a human one. 

Bruce kneels down to look at me and says, "Callie, I'm going to pick you up now okay?" reaching his arms out towards me. For a split second, I'm unsure, but his face is full of kindness so, despite the fear I feel, I reach my arm out towards him. 

He lifts me into his arms gently and holds me against himself. I don't know what to do with my body, I've never been held like this before, but Bruce seems to feel that and he wraps my good arm around his neck and brings my head to his shoulder as he holds my legs under my knees. His body is warm and I feel...safe. 

Suddenly we are moving fast up the stairs and I can hear Mother screaming, there are loud blasts going off all over, I don't know what is going on and I'm not sure if I want to. I bury my face into this man's chest and I cling to him tight, grasping the fabric of his shirt in my hands. 

"It's okay," he whispers in my ear, "I've got you." 

I close my eyes, and I know that he's telling the truth. For once in my life, I trust someone, and I won't let go.