1 - The subway

Why did he always have to be so noble-minded?

Luka sighed involuntarily, as if he wanted to take pity on himself. What a timing for being a hero! He should have taken Marinette's hand and walk her home. But no! He had to encourage her to chase after her crush.

By the way, Adrien was a complete jerk. How couldn't he notice that such a fantastic girl thought the world of him?

He sighed again. Maybe sitting in empty subway wasn't something pleasant, but he didn't mind right now. No one disturbed him in thinking of what had happened today. And he could focus on the melody that had been playing in his heart for some time.

This afternoon he'd almost blurted out that... er... That Marinette was his inspiration for the latest song he wanted to write. But soon everything was clear enough to congratulate himself for not saying her that. He couldn't ignore Marinette's glances given to Adrien. He couldn't ignore the pain in her eyes every time she noticed Kagami's possessive behaviour. He could only wonder why she had agreed to be there with them. And why she had invited him to be a part of it.

There was a very special moment for him, when he felt a hope that he could win her heart, but their goodbye left him with a certainty that in fact, he had no chance.

Nonetheless, he smiled to himself. No one could take this memory away from him. No. He would always remember the moment when she'd hesitated whose hand she should choose. Maybe Marinette thought it took only a second, but for him that moment was the precious one. To remember.

"Can I sit down here?" he suddenly heard just above his head.

The subway was empty, and someone wanted to sit just next to him?

He looked up.

Marinette.

But... how?

"Sure!" he regained his composure immediately and smiled at her.

"Thanks..." she whispered and sat down shyly next to him.

"I thought you went with Adrien." He blurted.

Marinette blushed terribly and lowered her eyes.

"It would be impossible, I think..."

"Why?"

"I chickened out." She answered shortly.

"Do you want to tell me about that?" he asked, although he presumed what she wanted to say. Sometimes he found his intuition a little bit irritating. Why to ask questions when you know the answer? This time, however, she surprised him by saying:

"I'm sorry, Luka..."

"For... what?" he asked in astonishment.

"For not following your advice. My courage failed me, I think. I'm not sure... I mean... I know you were right. I know I should talk to him. But when I finally reached him, I realised that there was no sense in asking when I've already known the answer."

Luka chuckled. How many times he thought the same? Yet, he always asked and listened answers carefully. Marinette gave him a glance, and he knew that he hurt her with his reaction. He felt he should explain it.

"I can't agree with you, Marinette." He said in a serious tone. "I like asking, even if I know the answer. That helps in building relations with people. Besides, people surprise me with their answers, even when I'm so sure what they will tell me. And what was Adrien's answer you were so sure that you didn't even try to ask?"

"That he'd reject me." She confessed, blushing.

"Did he?"

"W-well, n-no... Because I didn't ask."

"So, you'll still be wondering what if..." Luka summed up. "It's like ripping off a band-aid. You have to do it to see if your injury is healed already. Maybe it's infected? Maybe it's healed and everything will be fine now? You'll never know if you don't remove the patch."

"But..."

"I know ripping off a band-aid hurts, Marinette."

"But I know what's there! I just know..." she whispered, and suddenly her eyes filled with tears. "I'd prefer to rip it off alone. He doesn't have to know."

"If you say so, Marinette... I think..." he hesitated and finished in a different tone: "Maybe you're right. Maybe it'll be better. I'm sure it hurts when you break your friend's heart."

"Yes. It hurts." She admitted.

There was so much sadness in her words, that Luka could only guess who she had in mind. Yet, he felt that it had to be someone real. And then he discovered that his new song might have a sad refrain...