Questions and Answers

Robin sat Caleb down at the kitchen table. "We need to talk." Caleb visibly flinched. Nothing good ever came from those four cursed words. "About what?" Caleb knew what was coming. It would arrive sooner or later. Robin sighed, "I think you know what we need to talk about." Caleb looked resigned. "It's about my past isn't it?" "Yes." Caleb rested his hand on his forehead. "Where do you want to start?" "From the beginning."

Looking out of the window, Caleb watched the raindrops patter against the windowpane. The outside was a sad grey, the kind of grey you associate with cement. There was an overcast of clouds, he could see small rays of light peeking through the holes in the sky, and it was drizzling. The steady beat of a stereo in a car could be heard outside of the apartment block, it reminded him of, of a place he couldn't remember. But it felt familiar, it felt like home. He looked at his hands, studying every groove and shadow. They were pale, he was pale. He pushed his black hair out of his eyes and looked straight into the cold ones of Robin, the man who took him away from his nightmare. He sighed again and drew a large, shaky breath. 

"I was born April 9th, 2005, it snowed. That I can remember clearly. I can remember the feel of leaving the building, I can remember the snowflake that landed on my nose as I was taken outside. The feel of the blankets, the feeling of safety." A single tear fell from his eye. "I remember my first birthday, the family gathering as we celebrated my first year on the earth. That was the night my aunt and uncle were killed, it was a car crash. They were drunk, so was the other guy. They all died." More tears fell from his eyes, Robin held him close. They rocked back and forth, Robin whispering meaningless nothings into his ears. His shoulders were shaking, his breaths course and ragged. It felt like this morning, he never thought he would shed this many tears in one day, it was exhausting. "F-for y-years nothing really happened, u-unti-il I w-went-t to s-secondary s-school." He murmured, this was a difficult part of the story to tell. "I-it was the end of my first year, a-and I lied. I l-lied once and they j-just kept on c-coming." The tears were flowing now, he sobbed into Robin's chest. "I-it ended up with my dad ending up in p-prison f-for something h-he hadn't d-done. I-I h-hated myself for what I had d-done." He sniffled. "S-short-tly a-after, he got out and d-decided to p-punish m-me. H-he d-did the thing I claimed h-he d-did in th-the f-first place" Robin could barely control his anger. "What did he do to you little one?" Caleb paused for a moment. "Little one?" Robin held him tighter. "Little one." He confirmed. 

"H-he h-hit m-me." Caleb burst out, his choked sobs racked his body. He screamed in anguish. His voice was hoarse and raspy as he spoke again. "M-my m-mum forgave me for my lies." He hiccoughed. "A-and when h-he started hitting me, she defended m-me. He k-killed her I-in the n-night. S-she d-didn't h-have t-time to s-scream." Robin rubbed small, soothing circles on his back. You could see Caleb was tired. He needed to sleep. But not quite yet. They hadn't gotten to the end of the story. "I-I moved s-schools in y-year eight. It was on top of a really big hill. I had a c-couple of friends. T-they supported m-me in my ch-choices and l-loved me for w-who I was. I will n-never forget th-them. Th-they w-were the kindest people I've ever met a-and w-will s-stay w-with me f-for a-as long as I l-live." "They sound lovely Caleb. I trust you've gotten to the end of the story, but, I do need you to tell me where your father is, I should like to have a little, chat. Would you like to be there?" Caleb gave a little smirk. "I wouldn't miss it for the world." Robin was, surprised to say the least. "You do know what I will be doing, correct?" Caleb's smirk got wider. "Oh yes, and I shall like to watch the whole thing, I trust it will be messy?"

"I think we're going to get along swimmingly."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yayyyyyyyyy another chapter, sorry it's not as long as the first, but I think it would be a good idea to end there. See you soon my lovelies!