Making A Sister

That night, I shed my tears into my pillow, crying my eyes out.

I wept as I remember the scene that had happened about a couple of minutes ago. All five of my brothers had ganged up on me and almost beat the living daylights out of me.

I don't understand why they did that. I mean, I sort of understand that they're mad at me for not wanting to partake in Dad's business, but I don't understand why they had to do that to me.

I don't understand why I had to put up with all this.

Sometimes I wish there was someone right next to me. Someone to listen to all my pain ans troubles. Someone I could just talk to. And hopefully offer me advice in return.

I turned on my side and curled up into a ball. No one seemed to be there for me when I needed it. My dad couldn't be bothered to stop them. The maids in the house can't do anything. And I don't even have friends at school. They'd always laugh at my bruised and battered face every time I came on to school grounds. No one would come near me, or even sit me down and talk to me.

Disturbed by my inability to sleep, I got up from my bed and walked to my computer. I turned it on, entered the password, and opened up Google. As I was about to enter a search term, my eyes caught on to a piece of news.

Therapy Robots Gaining Popularity screamed the headlines. Therapy robots? I thought, How have I not heard of this? But then again, I was only a little eight-year-old who still had yet to know about the world. Feeling a wave of curiosity wash over me, I clicked on the article.

The article talked about therapy robots and how they were gaining popularity in certain areas of the world. I was intrigued. I read all the way until the end of the article, at which point it said:

"Therapy robots are perhaps one of the best inventions ever made by mankind. These extraordinary robots may someday replace the need for human therapists in the future. Without these special robots, many lives would've been a lost cause."

A lightbulb lit in my head. I can build robots, I thought, What if...I built myself a sister?

And that's when I leaped out of ny chair in realization. That's it! I thought, I don't need this poor excuse for a human family. I can just make myself a robot...and make her a part of me.

I wrote a reminder on a sticky note to remind myself to start the construction of my robot sister tomorrow. Then I pasted it on my screen monitor. I kept away the reamining sticky notes and my pen, then I bounced back on to my bed and drifted off to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------

The next morning, I woke up fresh and early. Earlier than the rest of my family, in fact. I blinked my puffy eyes and looked around. It's Saturday, meaning it's a weekend, meaning that I can work on my newest project - a sister!

I jumped out of bed and did all the necessary stuff - you know, brush my teeth, get dressed, po- I don't think I should say that last part. But besides that, I was all ready. I raced to our abandoned garage (we have seven garages: five for my brothers, one for my dad, and the other is abandoned), careful to avoid any of my brothers. Once the coast was clear, I opened the door, went in, and shut it behind me. Time to work.

First, I started on her inner workings. Her CPU, skeleton structure, and all the hardware stuff. The next couple of hours were a storm of wires, drills, computer parts, and various other components. I placed a dictionary and calculator in her CPU.

  I stopped for a while to eat breakfast. As I set my work down, I ran out of the garage, making sure to close and lock the door, to the kitchen. To my surprise, my dad and William was there.