prologue

light house  | prologue

Nova's eyes are bright and alive as he stares up at me. His lips are on my bare stomach, parting to give me a rasberry. I throw my head back into the pillows, squirming with laughter under his grip on my hips. 

The rain grows heavier outside, the waves rougher. The boat rocks hard, nearly making us topple over. Nova rolls off me, but holds tight to my waist as he collapses at my side. The action makes me roll ontop of his smug figure.

"Nova." I say seriously, leaning my elbows on his chest as our eyes meet. "This storm is making me anxious."

He reaches up with a pale hand, brushing my dark hair off my cheek. He takes my chin between his fingers, blue eyes earnest. "We're going to be fine, Lottie." His lips are on mine, never giving me a chance to doubt him. My fingers twine through his ink black hair, pulling him closer. He rises up, like the tide, his hands moving to my waist.

Lightning crackles through the air nearby, startling me out of the kiss. I tug away reluctanly, as a picture frame on the nightstand topples over. I regonize it as a picture of Nova and I in Disneyland, our smiling faces stare up at me as Nova strokes my hair.

There is but a second for me to enjoy the moment when lightning strikes again. The bed moves, the boat shifts. Suddenly, Nova and I are thrown backwards. We crash into the wall, and I scream in surprise.

"Lottie!" Nova shouts, scrambling to right himself. I move as the boat shifts again, the bed smashes into my previous position and I use the covers to yank myself up onto my knees. Nova is near the closet, unharmed. We stare at each other in shock as a scream sounds from upstairs.

"Nova." I wobble to my feet, clutching at the footboard. Thunder rumbles again as I reach out to him with one hand. 

There is a moment of calm.

And then the floor caves in and Nova calls out to me one last time as he is pulled into the ocean. Away from me forever.

"Lottie!"

I throw myself onto the bed, both hands reaching out for him as the boat shifts yet again. I am tossed into the headboard, a scream leaving my throat and then I, too, am pulled under as the bed breaks through the wall.

"Nova!"