Chapter 5

Angelica and I were now sat in New York's biggest library, huddled together in a corner. I had a copy of Common Sense written by Thomas Paine in my lap while Angelica is reading Emilie by Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

Angie had told me all about Common Sense and how its affected her way of thinking about the separation from the Colonies and I had to give it a shot. Although I do not understand some words, I was enjoying what I was reading. It was mature and intelectual of her to suggest this prose to me and I appreciate it. In return, I had suggested a recent read of mine, Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe.

My hand supported my head as I moved the book to rest on the table as I continue to read each word carefully, making sure to taking in every letter carefully. My french mind can easily be tricked when reading English.

"So, you think America should break away from the Colonies and form a Democratic Republic?" I ask, looking up at Angelica. She nods then lifts her eyes away from the book. She smiles, closing Emilie and setting it down lightly in her lap, the folds of the dress draping around the book like it was on a plush cushion. She leans forward slightly, now a serious expression settling on her face.

"Why do you care so much about politics, (F/N)? I haven't met another woman who cares so deeply about this war." She asks in a hushed tone.

She can see right through me.

She knows my plan.

Her eyes show her knowledge and intellect.

She knows.

"What are you planning, (F/N)? Why were you so close to Washington last night?"

I shake my head, taken aback at her by her knowledge. I mean, I knew Angelica was smart but I had underestimated her. Big Time.

I sigh and open my mouth to defend myself against Angelica's accusations but she cuts me off.

"Are you a British spy?"

I gasp loudly. People turn around to shush too, to remind me that I am in a library and that I need to be as quiet as possible. I shake my head at Angelica again. I'm going to have to tell her the truth before she figures it out for herself.

"Angelica, can I trust you? As a friend, can I trust you to keep my secret?" I ask in a hushed tone.

She pauses, thinking, then nods.

"I came here to help my cousin, Lafayette, in the war effort. I came here in place of my father and to aid General Washington as a battle strategist but you cannot tell anyone under any circumstances. I might be sent back to France and I can't leave. Not now, not when I've made so many dear friends here." I gently place my hand on top of hers and smile at her gently.

She stares at me, awe on her face and a silence in her open mouth.

"Angelica?" I ask, trying to get her to snap back into realty. I don't feel safe repeating that information again in a public place, it wouldn't be safe.

"(N/N), that is incredible!" She says, earning the 'shhh's' and the glares that I had a few moments ago. She lowers her voice before saying, "I can't believe I let myself think you were a spy, how stupid of me. I'm so sorry I let myself think of you like that!"

Again, I shake my head but this time in dismissal, "Thank goodness you believe me, I thought you were going to turn me in as a British spy!" I laugh and pull her into a hug.

I was glad to finally get it off my chest, to let someone besides Lafayette and Washington know my secret. I was even more glad that it had been Angelica that I shared this secret with because of all woman, Angelica is the one more likely to understand my needs and wants. I had bonded with Angelica on a tempermental level and I have never had that type of bond with someone besides my dear cousin and John.