Chapter Nineteen

I woke up to a dull throbbing in the base of my skull.

I opened my eyes, my vision hazy.  The throbbing increased but not enough to drown out the steady burn in my abdomen.  I glanced down.  Blood coated my shirt, staining it a deep red.  It stuck to my skin uncomfortably.  I realized there were hands there, holding something against me.  Trying to stop the blood. 

It wasn't working. 

The ground beneath me shifted and jolted, sending pain lancing through me.  I moaned, leaning my head back.

"Shit, is she awake?"

"I don't know- she's lost a lot of blood."

"Hurry up!  She's bleeding out!"

"Ari?"  The voice was gentle as were the fingers cupping the back of my head.  Holding me steady.  "Ari, can you hear me?"

I forced my eyes open.  That voice sounded familiar.  There was a name, I knew.  On the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't quite remember.

"More pressure, Newt."

"I got it, I got it."  Someone pressed firmly against my stomach and I moaned again, the agony rippling through me .

"Ari, look at me."  That voice again.  I forced myself to find the source.  My eyes focused and my memory flared.  "M-Minho?"

"Yes, yes- I'm here.  I'm here, Ari."

"What's happening-"   I coughed and felt blood in the back of my throat. 

"Shh, shh, it's okay."  He gripped my hand tightly.  "Focus on me." 

"Keep her awake," someone said.  "If she goes under again, we might loose her."

Minho's eyes shone.  "Focus on me."  He said again.  "Tell me about the Glade, you remember the Glade?"

I nodded slowly.  "Y-yeah."

"Tell me about it, you always used to say the Glade in the morning was your favorite thing."

The words were hard to force out.  "The way it was quiet.  How...nobody was awake, and the way the sun used to rise over the walls."

"And how if you looked at it just right, you could see rainbows in the air."  Minho's grip on my hand tightened.  "What else?"

My abdomen gave a sharp stab of pain.  "Shit," someone said but they sounded far away. 

"The-the smell of Frypan's food cooking when we came out of the Maze.  Always smelled like heaven."

Someone let out a small laugh.  I coughed, blood dripping from my mouth.  "But...most of all...you."

"Ari-"

"The way you smiled at me from across the tables during dinner, even though no one else would see.  How you hugged me at night and the way you kissed my forehead."

Whoever was near us had fallen silent.  But I only focused on Minho.  "But most of all..." I coughed again. 

"Ari-" he started again.

I shook my head, trembling at the effort.  "But most of all the way you care.  The way you care about me.  And the way you make me feel safe.  You always protect me.  No matter what."

A single tear slid down Minho's face.  His thumb brushed my cheek.  "Please don't."

"Don't what?"  My voice was a whisper.

"Please don't say goodbye," his voice cracked. 

I smiled softly.  "I love you.  I always will."

"No, no- Ari." 

"It's okay.  I'm not afraid."

"What if I am?"  Another tear slid down his cheek.  "I need you.  I need you here, with me."

"No you don't.  You're a survivor."  I whispered.  "You'll survive this.  You're strong, Minho, and brave."

"No, no, I'm not.  I need you, Ari-please-"

"It's okay, Minho.  I promise you'll be okay.  Everything will be okay." 

He gripped my hand.  "No, no, look at me.  Look at me.  Keep your eyes open."

I swallowed.  "It doesn't hurt anymore."

"Please, please, stay with me, Ari."  Minho begged.  "Please, please."

"I love you," I said again, my gaze sliding up to the sky.  My vision seemed fractured, fraying at the edges.  The last thing I glimpsed were pieces of the sun falling.

Then I closed my eyes.