Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Lauren

Delicate ocean mist glazed her skin. The sea salt was horrible for her sew-in extensions. She didn't care.

She had heard enough for the time being. She was confident the others would fill her in on anything truly important. For now, she just wanted to be alone with her thoughts. With the emptiness.

It was all a crock of bull anyway. How could she have been so naive? To think they had been brought there for some higher purpose. Sure, Twelf had never said as much, but he had let them believe it.

Now, she was to believe that it was all to save Ehma? Ehma who was actually his sister and a Realm Goddess herself? How utterly quaint. How utterly disappointing.

The others had eaten up the grey-haired woman's words like it was their last meal. That was fine. They could do as they pleased.

Maybe it wasn't Ehma's fault. Maybe she had been scared. If that was the case, then where did that leave her? What was she supposed to do now that Tera had been raked to the side like some kind of collateral damage?

"Are you going to be alright?" Valeri had positioned herself in Lauren's blind spot. "We're worried about you."

The concern was appreciated, but she wasn't sure if the inclusive we extended to the others. That was a rough time, too. Seeing the two women appear at once, one nearly on the verge of death.

Twelf had been unable to fix the damage. Against the rules, he said. He had been able to find a workaround, as drastic as it was.

Two women became one. A new woman who called herself Valeri, half black and half white. With neither half completely willing to fuse with the other, it left her a beautiful spotted mess. We.

"I'm fine, love."

"For how long, though?"

How long was a good question. One that she didn't really have an answer to. "If everything is as the grey bitch says—"

"Hecate will suffice."

Lauren's breath caught in her throat. Eavesdroppers were not to be tolerated. Even more, she could feel the others crowding around her with their questioning eyes. It filled her with a sense of claustrophobic panic. "I'll be fine."

Another gust of ocean spray dotted her skin. She hoped the additional moisture would hide the heavy drops hanging from her lashes. It was clear they didn't really know what to say to her. She didn't really know what to say to them.

"You're not really maintaining your air of fearless leader."

"Fuck you, Haven."

"Your words cut deep—"

"So, apparently, deities from the 9th Dimension get reincarnated."

"What?" Gina's words were like a slap in the face. How many times had she and Tera argued about that same topic? "You know as well as I do that souls disintegrate at death. No magic can reverse it."

She turned to face them. Dare them to say she was wrong. Part of her wanted to be. The overbearing grey-haired woman cleared her throat in the silence.

"It isn't magic."

"Oh, come off it. What is it, then?"

"Faith."

"Faith?"

"It's the same for the 5th Dimension. Greeks and Norse alike. Our powers come from the people. If their myths say we reincarnate, then we do."