Part 55

After the Christmas party and introduction to society, Rory and Logan spent the rest of the holiday season quietly at Lorelai and Luke's house.  Pregnancy was hitting Rory a bit harder.  She wasn't sick, but was perpetually exhausted.  The doctor assured her and Logan that it was normal and Rory's body would bounce back as the pregnancy progressed.  So, instead of pushing it, they enjoyed the lazy time.

Their only real outing since the party was when they ventured to the Huntzberger mansion for Christmas Eve with Mitchum, Shira, and Honor and her family.  They hadn't stayed too long, but it was a nice time.  They had a nice dinner and exchanged gifts.  Luckily, Henry was eager to get home and set out cookies for Santa, so they all made it an early night.

Christmas Day was spent at home in pajamas.  Everyone slept in late and then leisurely opened gifts.  Luke made a brunch for everyone while they lounged around watching television.

Emily and Richard didn't even complain about making the trek to Stars Hollow for Christmas dinner.  Their great grandchild was more important than a formal holiday meal in their immaculate dining room.  Luke cooked again.  That night he made a full turkey dinner.  But instead of eating at the table, they ate it while watching "It's a Wonderful Life" in the living room.  Lorelai had been in shock as she watched her parents eat off of tv tables on the couch.  She kept pestering Rory to test them more to see what else they would do "for the baby".

The rest of January was similar to their Christmas break. Everyone was pushing Rory to take it easy.  It would be months before the baby would arrive, but it was spoiled already.  Mitchum and Logan had talked and come up with a plan for Rory to work from home until she felt better and had more energy or until after the baby came.  Rory only joined Logan in the office one day a week.  The rest of the days, she reviewed articles from home between naps. At first Rory felt strange, like she was getting special treatment.  But after a week or two, she realized how much she could get done and contribute by working on her own schedule.  Since she tended to take a nap mid-afternoon, she had trouble sleeping at night sometimes.  On those nights, while everyone else was asleep, she was very productive. She wrote some very good, well researched articles.  Already she was gaining a following writing for HPG.

Pressure and additional money from Richard and Mitchum prompted Tom to begin the house.  Since the large snowstorm, the weather had been surprisingly tame with little additional snow.  The house was a long way from being completed, but it was further along each time Rory and Logan went to see it.  The last time they saw it there were studs up outlining rooms.  Rory couldn't see it as a house yet, but Tom assured her it would look just like the plans.

"I am kind of excited to get out of the house and see people again!"  Rory said to Logan on the last weekend in January.  They were packing for Stephanie and Colin's wedding.  As planned Steph and Colin agreed to have a formal wedding for their families.  The wedding was to be held at Winvain Farm in Morris, Connecticut.  The farm was a 113 acre estate with a banquet barn, five star dining, and eighteen cottages.  Steph's parents had attended a wedding there and fallen in love with it, so they convinced Steph and Colin to have the ceremony and reception there.  They had rented the entire thing for the weekend. Steph and Colin insisted all of their friends stay in one of the cottages for the night.  Rory was gathering together some last minute items and zipping up her dress bag.

 It was just over an hour's drive to Morris.  Finn and Rosemary were picking them up on their way from Hartford so they could all travel together. 

Logan zipped his suit bag and said, "All set.  Finn should be here any minute."  He turned towards Rory and said, "We don't have to ride with them, you know.  Maybe we should drive separately.  What if you start to get tired or don't feel well?  Maybe I should call Finn and tell him to go on without us."