Redfox's Worst Memory

BY ORDER OF THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC

Karacka John Eisenwald (High Inquisitor) has replaced Makarov Dreyar as Head of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-eight.

Signed: Tome Elliot Fiore, Minister for Magic

The notices had gone up all around the school overnight, but they did not explain how every single person within the castle seemed to know that Master Makarov had overcome two Aurors, the High Inquisitor, the Minister for Magic and his Junior Assistant to escape.

No matter where Natsu went within the castle, the sole topic of conversation was Master Makarov's flight, and though some of the details may have gone awry in the retelling (Natsu overheard one second-year girl assuring another that E. Fiore was now lying in St. Mungo's with a pumpkin for a head) it was surprising how accurate the rest of their information was. Everybody knew, for instance, that Natsu and Jenny were the only students to have witnessed the scene in Master Makarov's office and, as Jenny was now in the hospital wing, Natsu found himself besieged with requests to give a first-hand account.

"Master Makarov will be back before long," said Laki Olietta confidently on the way back from Herbology, after listening intently to Natsu's story. "They couldn't keep him away in our second year and they won't be able to this time. The Fat Friar told me -" she dropped her voice conspiratorially, so that Natsu, Gray, Lucy and Juvia had to lean closer to him to hear "- that Eisenwald tried to get back into his office last night after they'd searched the castle and grounds for him. Couldn't get past the gargoyle. The Head's office has sealed itself against him." Laki smirked. "Apparently he had a right little tantrum."

"Oh, Juvia expect he really fancied himself sitting up there in the Heads office," said Juvia viciously, as they walked up the stone steps into the Entrance Hall. "Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old -"

"Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Juvia?"

Minerva Orland had slid out from behind the door, closely followed by Orga and Rufus. Her tanned, pointed face was alight with malice.

"Afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff," she drawled.

"It's only teachers who can dock points from houses, Orland," said Laki at once.

"Yeah, we're prefects, too, remember?" snarled Gray.

"I know prefects can't dock points, Full King," sneered Minerva. Orga and Rufus sniggered.

"But members of the Inquisitorial Squad -"

"The what!" said Juvia sharply.

"The Inquisitorial Squad, Juvia," said Minerva, pointing towards a tiny silver 'I' on her robes just beneath her prefect's badge. "A select group of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic, hand-picked by Professor Eisenwald. Anyway, members of the Inquisitorial Squad do have the power to dock points... so, Juvia, I'll have five from you for being rude about our new Headmaster. Olietta, five for contradicting me. Five because I don't like you, Natsu. Gray, your shirts untucked, so I'll have another five for that. Oh yeah, I forgot, you're a Mudblood, Juvia, so ten off for that."

Gray pulled out his wand, but Juvia pushed it away, whispering, "Don't!"

"Wise move, Juvia," breathed Minerva. "New Head, new times... be good now, Natsu... Gray..."

Laughing heartily, she strode away with Orga and Rufus.

"She was bluffing," said Laki, looking appalled. "She can't be allowed to dock points... that would be ridiculous... it would completely undermine the prefect system."