Joymoment

Hi, my name is Joy, I’m most commonly known as joymoment on here. I’m the writer of A Secret Service the winner of a 2018 Fiction Award. For anyone who knows me I’m odd, an ice cream addict, and in love with Grant Gustin. That’s pretty much me in a nutshell. 

Advice for writers:

Well, there is so much I could say on this subject. I’ve been writing for four years and have gathered a treasure chest full of advice, but I’ll keep it simple. 

Write something that makes you happy. Yes, that seems basic but in a world where writers are writing cliches that they think people will like, it’s something more people should remember.

Write for no one else but you. If you write with the plan to become well-known and liked by thousands of people you will burn out and eventually give up. You need to write because it’s the thing that you absolutely love. With that passion, you will be able to keep going even when it gets tough. 

Know that sharing isn't always a must. Sometimes just taking your time and writing for your own pleasure is more encouraging than posting a story. Though Wattpad is amazing and you get to share your work, it’s also a place where it’s extremely easy for someone to freely speak their mind. What they say might not always be what you need to hear. So keep that in mind when you jump to the notion that you need to post the minute you finish your first chapter. 

Finally, my last piece of advice is something every great writer will tell you: you need to read a lot and you need to write a lot. And I’m not talking just Wattpad books cause it’s really easy to inhale those. I’m talking about classic books, best sellers. Books that will fill your mind with a larger vocabulary and a form of style you wouldn’t find on this platform. Read Dickes, Austin, the Brontë sisters all the books you are forced to read in school but only outside it. Despite what you might think while in class those books are read over and over again for a reason. 

As for the writing part, you learn best when you dive in and make mistakes. My first couple of books were awful but I learned so much from them. So no matter how hard to feels at times, just write, just keep writing until you hit that final line and then keep going. 

For more specifics on breaking down a story plot go read the chapter titled 7 Plot Points in my book What’s Write. Good luck! May the words be with you! 

+++++

Thank you so much, Joy! For anyone who reads this and would like for Joy to see her effect on you, don't forget to tag her in the comments. If you would like to recommend an author we ask to provide advice for all you wonderful writers, don't hesitate to do that either.

Once more, so much thanks for your time, Joy.

- Cross