Chapter 4 - Stable

Fuck, I must have fallen asleep. And I hate myself for it. Such things shouldn't happen. Not to me. On the streets that can mean death or worse for a young, black, homeless girl like me. Well, more likely a woman. I had to grow up fast, I had no childhood, there is just surviving. It's probably more honest to consider myself a woman. I lost count of the days, but I know the years - so I must be 20 or 21 years by now. Anyway, as I wake up now there is a metal tray with some bread, a bowl with thin soup, a banana and an old apple on it. I immediately get up and be alert. But there is no one. I missed the chance. The only one.

Hating myself I get up and pick up the tray. I decide to eat first so I don't get the fever as well. The soup is stale and the bread is old. But I am hungry and my body is grateful for the energy. I have half of the apple as dessert, I decide to keep the banana for later. Or for Liv. So now I try to wake her up, gently I shake her. And she actually opens her eyes. They are a mesmerizing green with tiny brown sprinkles in it. Even the dim light is enough to give me the impression that they are sparkling. We only talked in her feverish wake phases, mostly nonsense, contextless babbling that shocked me. Or I talked without expecting responses - but it's the first time I see her eyes.

"What are you doing?", Liv asks with a raspy voice that is not used to speaking a lot.

"I am so glad you finally woke up. Are you better? You look better", I say.

"I am better. I at least think so."

As an awkward silence threatens to enter the room and expand the air between us I remember why I woke her up. "There is food. Soup, bread, apple, a banana. I ate my part. The rest is yours. Can you eat on your own?"

Liv nods, her gaze is already focussed on the tray, her body instinctively sets the priority on food, like a starving street kid would also eat something from the ground only to survive. And that's probably what she is doing. Surviving.

While she hastily has her meal I take a look at the wound again, only not to look weird next to her. And to not stare. It's been a while since I saw green eyes. Or maybe I have never ever seen any before. Anyway, the slash looks way better. It bleeds a little, but it finally looks clean now, the pus is gone. I wash the bandage again and reattach it. Being awake Liv shudders a little because it's cold and wet and I unwillingly laugh. It is so relieving. And she laughs with me.

We breathe out and lean to the wall behind us.