chapter 2

RPOV 

I was right.

 The next morning I had ten messages in my inbox and six missed calls. All from Jesse. I deleted the mall. When was he going to give up?I got ready for school and joined Eddie, who was waiting outside. He lived a couple houses away. We always walked together to school. It was a fifteen minute walk and most of the time we were chatting, but I was not in the mood today. 

"Hey, is something wrong?" Eddie suddenly asked. 

I looked up at him and smiled. "No, I'm fine."

 I desperately wanted to change the subject before he'd ask about Jesse so I asked him about Jill. 

"You have some explaining to do," I said. 

He frowned. "What do you mean?" 

"Last night you seemed disappointed that Jill wasn't there," I said. 

"I wasn't," Eddie said quickly. 

I rose my eyebrows.

 "I really wasn't," he repeated. 

"I was, um, just wondering where she was." 

"Sure," I said shrugging. 

"If that's what you want to believe." 

"But it's the truth," Eddie said, suddenly looking very nervous.

 "Why? You think something's going on?" 

"No, no. Just...wondering," I said grinning.

 He quickly changed the subject. "Now, tell me... How long have you been out there chatting with Avery?"

 "Not that long," I said, feeling slightly uneasy about this topic.

 "What did he say?"

 "Why are you asking?" I asked. 

Eddie shrugged. "Just curious. So?" 

"Nothing much. He just said hi and then you came," I lied.

 "And then he left." 

"Who left?"We were at school by now and I hadn't seen that Lissa had joined us. I looked up at her. 

"Hi, Liss," I greeted. 

"Hey," she said. "What were you talking about? Was it about a guy?" Her face lit up at that last part.

 "No."Lissa rolled her eyes at me. 

"I heard you were talking about a guy. Who is it? Do you like him?" 

"Thanks, Eddie," I said, glaring at him.

 He just shrugged.I didn't want to talk about last night when Jack had found me crying. It was already embarrassing enough that he was the one to find me, but I was so not going to admit to my friends that I had been crying last night. I didn't cry. I never did. Well, except for the times I was frustrated. But no one ever saw me crying. Except for Lissa. But that had been a long time ago, when we were still kids. Since then no one had seen me cry. Until last night. 

"Well, who's your secret lover?" Lissa teased. 

I groaned. "There's no secret lover, Liss. I just ran into Mr. Avery last night. He said hi and left." 

"Oh." Lissa sounded disappointed, but then smiled. 

"Well, let me know if you find a new love interest."