𝙸𝙸𝙸

-- HOGWARTS HOSPITAL WING 

"How long until she wakes up?" Someone whispered in hushed tones.

"Ronald, did you not hear what Madame Pomfrey said?" A young girl said agitatedly. "She'll wake when her body is ready, she's not in a coma, she's just unconscious."

"Oh shut up Ginny," the voice mumbled back before he let out a small 'oomph,' as if someone had hit him.

"Take your time, little kitten," a voice on her other said soothingly. "We're not going anywhere."

Hermione wanted to laugh at the conversation around her. Leave it to them to find a way to bicker in any possible situation. Her senses finally coming back to her, Hermione grew more and more aware of her own body, even though she couldn't quite muster up the strength to pull her eyes open.

"I think I saw a finger move!" Ron cried excitedly.

"Ron, just give it time," Remus said patiently.

"No really-" Ron insisted.

"You all could manage to make the dead rise with that incessant bickering," Hermione mumbled blearily.

Everyone froze, their eyes swinging to Hermione. Finally gathering her strength, she forced her eyelids to open, squinting until her eyes finally focused on the hoard gathered around her. Sirius and Remus sat on chairs to the right of her bed while Ginny sat on the left. Harry and Ron were standing tensely behind Ginny, probably unable to stop pacing long enough to actually take a seat.

Hermione's eyes settled on Sirius first as she weakly raised her hand towards him. "Sirius... you're okay."

"Perfectly," He said, taking Hermione's hand. "You had us worried there for a bit, you know."

"Sorry," she said, wheezing in a breath. "Unavoidable circumstances and all that."

Remus chuckled at that, already knowing the headstrong nature of his former student.

"Is everyone else okay?" she asked suddenly.

"They're fine," Remus assured. "You were the worst of our casualties."

"Good." Hermione sighed, glad they hadn't lost everyone in that reckless mission. She tried to sit up, wincing when her body protested more than she expected. Before she could try again, Sirius and Ginny were already on either side of her, helping pull her up to a sitting position.

Hermione was slightly befuddled; Yes, she was struggling a bit, but she had to become accustomed to using her body again. It was then, as she tried to take inventory of her body, that she realized something was seriously wrong.

"Why can't I feel my legs?" Hermione asked with a hitched breath of sheer panic.

Everyone avoided her gaze uncomfortably, unable to meet her eyes.

"Someone please tell me why I can't move my legs!" Hermione screamed, the panic growing on her now.

Before anyone could be singled out, Madam Pomfrey rushed through the curtains drawn partially around her bed. "Oh Miss Granger, please you must remain calm," she advised sternly.

"What's wrong with me?" Hermione whispered, half afraid to hear the truth.

"Did they not tell you what happened?" When everyone avoided the Healer's gaze, she grew flustered. "Oh my, well yes we have a lot to fill you in on."

"My dear, you were hit with a dark curse that is meant to liquefy your internal organs within minutes."

Hermione paled at the realization.