Chapter Three: The Volunteer

| Chapter Three: The Volunteer |

Logan had spent his day showing Leila the classes. He believed the professor had missed out on something because when he told him that her mind was blank except for her name, he had come under the impression that he would have to basically teach her everything. She pretty much knew everything else, except things about herself. She had basic knowledge on things, but not into details for some things so much.

For example, she knew the kitchen and its purpose. But she wasn't sure on how to use a toaster properly.

The tour was almost done and so was the day. Logan couldn't help but befriend the girl. Xavier was right; he does have a way with kids. Her nearly psychotic smile was gone as soon as she saw Logan giving her a look.

Now she had on a sweet smile and had opened up to him much more. She even let him touch her, like on the shoulder, and they had short conversations with each other, discussing classes and teachers.

"Hey, Logan! Who's this?" a girl with an obvious perky attitude. She had brown eyes and her brown hair in pig tails. Logan smiled at the girl, actually feeling happy to see her.

"This is a new student, her name is Leila." He replied, moving to the side a little to show her. Leila and Kitty looked to be about the same age, but Leila looked a bit smaller.

"Hi, Leila. Nice to meet you, you can call me Kitty." She said, sticking her hand out. The smile Leila had been holding the time she was with Logan faltered and got much smaller. She looked a little neutral, but anyone that saw her would automatically say she was shy like this. Leila stuck out her hand and gave Kitty one shake. Kitty smiled and looked at Logan.

"Aw, she's shy." She smiled and looked back at Leila who had blushed lightly. "Don't worry, you'll get less shy the longer you stay here. So what's your mutation?" Leila had furrowed her eyebrows into a look of confusion. Logan saw this, realizing that she couldn't answer, and cleared his throat, getting Kitty's attention.

"Hey, we have a few more rooms to go over, and I want to finish soon today." Kitty smiled and nodded.

"Alright, I should be getting to my last class now anyway. Bye Logan, later Leila." She said with a smile and walked away. Leila looked up at Logan, her smile growing a little more, but still had a bit of confusion on her face.

"I like her, she looks nice. But... what's a mucation- mutilation- um, I mean mutation? The thing she asked?"

"Hey, don't worry about it for now. You'll find out later." He replied, starting to walk again. "Come on, we really do have a few more classes. After you meet the teachers tomorrow, you start classes the day after."

Leila nodded and followed Logan.

* * *

Xavier's weird feelings had subsided for now, and classes went smoothly. He had just dismissed his last class of the day and was ready to grade when Kitty went up to his desk. "Hello, Kitty. You did a good job today, I'm proud of you. Do you need anything?"

"Um, I was just wondering... you know the new student, Leila?" she asked calmly.

Xavier sat up at the use of her name, still having doubt about her. "Yes, I do. Why?"

"Well, I saw her with Logan today and she seems pretty shy... Professor, I was wondering if I could be her guide in class when she starts. I want to help her, she seems really nice and... I'm just curious about her."

Xavier smiled. He liked how nice and sweet Kitty was, even though sometimes it could be trouble if people take advantage of her. He looked down a little bit thinking about it. He realized when it came to Leila, he couldn't always think right or think everything through.

She did seem shy, and he knew Kitty would do a good job opening her up to everyone else, but what if something went wrong? What if, while in class, she just taps into her power and the results are devastating? Anything could happen and he knew it. Xavier looked back up at Kitty who had a pleading smile. Something could go wrong... and everything could go right. There were two sides to it.

Hoping that everything would go right, Xavier nodded. "That's fine. Just be careful, she's still... growing accustomed to things."

Kitty's smile grew as she nodded furiously. "Will do! Thanks Professor, have a great day!" she said cheerily as she practically skipped out of the room. Xavier chuckled as he wheeled to his desk.

The days that were passing were normal and calm, there was no need to have to assemble the X-Men for nearly two months now, and Xavier found it suspicious.

"Just enjoy it while you can..." Ororo's voice echoed in his head.

"I'll enjoy it while I can." He said to himself quietly, but there was still doubt in him. Though he wanted to enjoy it, he was afraid if he enjoyed it too much, something bad would happen.

Something bad always happens.

• • •

A/N: I know it's short, I guess this is just a filler, I'm not really sure how I was going to continue this. Haha. Any suggestions?