Present day

'I must be dreaming' Mridhula thought to herself as she opened her eyes up to see Vikram in bed next to her. She shut her eyes. She was not really sure she believed in God, but in desperation she sent up a little prayer that all this was a nightmare. She opened her eyes again to see him lying next to her. He looked so unfamiliar so distant somehow. 'Her husband', even those words did not seem right to her. How could this have happened?

She willed herself to sit up. She looked around the unfamiliar  room. It was small and bare. There was a door to the washroom on the side. The double cot she was sitting in occupied almost half of the room. There open cabinet in the opposite wall filled with his clothes. . There was a shaving mirror hanging right next to the door.  There was nothing else in the room. A small bench next to the bed had a jug of water and some fruits and flowers placed in a tray. The sight of them filled her with dread thinking about what last night was supposed to be.  This was now her room. This is now her life. The man lying next to her, her husband. A clock on the wall showed her it was 4 am. Mridhula tried to remember when she had fallen asleep. It was a miracle that she had fallen asleep at all after what had happened. She felt the familiar prickle of tears forming in her eyes. She had cried herself to sleep last night. She had a pounding headache.

Mridhula steeled herself wiping away her tears.  She had never been a weepy one. She had always felt crying only made you feel more sad. She got down and went into the bathroom to wash her face. The cold water seemed to soothe her headache a little. She considered taking a shower. It would make her feel better. She began undoing her saree when she remembered. She had no clothes here right now. Not even a towel. All her clothes were back home where they were probably burnt by her father last night. She had a bizzare desire to burst out laughing. Here she was in Arjun's house like she always wanted and her father disowned her like he said he would. Both of them had not gotten what they wanted. She hadn't married Arjun and he had not been able to prevent her marrying into this family. 

She came back out and sat down in bed thinking about yesterday. The day as she put it to herself the day she married the wrong brother.