Chapter Sixteen

"Take us to the Love residence," grandpa says to Abram after I join them back in the car.

"Montserrat can be a little bit overwhelming at times," he tells me after a while of sitting in silence in the moving car.

"She scared me a little," I tell him. He laughs out loud and I turn to look at him in surprise. I like him like this. When his grey eyes lighten with joy and his wrinkles appear smoother. It makes me believe that he still has a long time left on earth.

"She damn well nearly gave me a heart attack the first time we met. She took my hand without warning and tried to read my palm." He pauses contemplatively. "I let her do it because there was a lot I wanted to know and these old eyes can't see much these days even with my glasses. There are too many secrets here in Haven. Too many to keep hidden."

"Montserrat seems younger than I expected. She grows younger everyday."

"We can't stay long at Augustine's place. I have some business to discuss with John," he tells me, ignoring my statement. I wonder what he has to discuss with his lawyer on a Saturday.

The rest of the drive is spent with me chewing back my curiosity. I'm itching to ask him what business he has with John Morgan, but I'm also aware that grandpa will tell me nothing of his business. I know father deals in arms, I know mother is a fashion designer but I know nothing of the core family business. The one that brings in billions of dollars each year.

Abram parks in front of a beautiful brick house. There are no gates leading to it like most of the houses in Haven. It's surrounded by a garden of beautiful and exotic flowers and trees.

Grandpa and I step out of the car and walk to the glass door. The adopted son of Augustine Love, Martin, a dark eyed man with soft features and a pretty face, welcomes us in with a grim smile and red eyes. Augustine took him in when his mother died and his father ran off with her best friend.

"The family is seated in the living room," he tells us. His voice is hoarse as well. He probably wept the entire dawn.

We make our way to the living room. Anabelle and her mother are seated on opposite ends of the room with Gabriel Prince pacing in front of the tiny bar with his hands in the pocket of his jeans.

Anabelle's eyes meet mine, and she rushes to me with tears streaming down her cheeks. I clutch her tightly, returning every ounce of desperation with which she hugged me into it. Augustine was like an uncle I never had. He treated everyone with kindness despite the fact that none of us ever returned it to him. Not even Desiree, his curly haired ex wife. I regret not visiting him when I returned to Haven. I regret that he's gone.

Grandpa hands the tulips to Desiree. They are her favorite. She beams with joy and takes a sniff before giving it to Martin who places it on the center table. Desiree gives him a sharp glare before turning to us with a soft smile.

"The funeral will have to take place in next week Saturday," she informs us. "He will be cremated."

"He's going to be buried at the St. Michael's cemetery," Martin snaps. "That is where we are burying him."

"You are forgetting your place, Martin," Desiree tells him. "You are just an adopted boy. You're not really a member of the Love family. You are just Martin, the pity case."

"Neither are you, Desiree," he says. "Aren't you a Prince now? The only other person whose opinion matters is Anabelle. The rest of you are irrelevant."

"After everything I'm selling the house and withdrawing funding from your university education," Desiree spits.

"You assume too much, mother," Anabelle says suddenly from my side. "The only person whose funding will be withdrawn is yours. Unlike daddy, Martin and I see no reason to keep you funded. If Gabriel refuses to fund your excesses, then I think it's time you start searching for a job."

My eyes snap to Gabriel. He's nursing a glass of whiskey, his violet eyes taking in the scene in amusement. He doesn't say anything. He doesn't need to. His actions already speak for himself. He probably married Desiree just because he could and bought the house at the top of the hill to show off his wealth. Yet, despite all his money, Anabelle says he's never given her mother a dime.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Desiree asks as she rises from her perch on the couch. Her beautiful wrap dress, perfectly molded on her curvy body. She's a beautiful woman. I can see why Gabriel married her despite being eight years younger than her.

"Daddy let us meet his lawyer last week. Martin and I are the sole beneficiaries of his estate and everything that comes with it."

It's a family feud. Bitter and nasty and every bit as entertaining as a failed soap opera.

Grandpa looks at me, his eyes dimming in disappointment. I don't know what he expected. Desiree has always been money hungry and this is the perfect opportunity to make as much as she can. Unfortunately, in death, Augustine outsmarted her and dealt her a chilling blow deep in her pockets.

He stands from his seat, gives Anabelle a kiss on the forehead before signaling me to walk out with him.

"Go on," Anabelle says, "you can always come back here. I'll be staying over to keep Martin company and also to go over the plans for daddy's funeral."

I nod and leave with grandpa.

I spend the rest of the day in self imposed hunger. I'm fasting for Augustine Love. Diana tries to tempt me with her best cooking but I hold strong. What if father is right and there is no place in heaven for him? I don't want him burning for all eternity. I want him happy and peaceful.

Before I realise, it's eight pm and I'm still on my bed, a bit weak from hunger.