In Her Hands

He sighed as he washed his hands. It had taken hours, but he finally had the information his lord needed. The prisoner might or might not survive for further questioning, but that was a matter for another day. After drying his hands he stepped into the small room just outside the dungeon and sat at his desk. He quickly wrote a missive to his lord detailing what he had learned. Then wrote a second to her, carefully trying it with a short length of white silk cord. He gave both to a page waiting outside with instructions to deliver Nobunaga's first, then find the princess and deliver the second.

Hoping that she would respond to his letter he headed for the baths. A little soak to relax his muscles and to get the blood out of his hair, before returning to his manor to have dinner started and await the princess was just what he needed. Well, it wasn't all he needed, but it was a start.

He was just finishing up a letter to his own Chatelaine back in his fief when she knocked on the door. "Enter" he called. As she opened the door and stepped in his eyes roved over her, searching for, yet not finding the white cord. Not seeing it immediately didn't mean she had said no, she had cleverly hidden it before, but he had hoped to see it immediately and know her answer. However, she was wearing the small fox obi-charm he had given her almost 2 months ago. That did bode well for him, even if he couldn't see that damnable cord.

Her smile lit up the room "Hello Mitsuhide, what's for dinner tonight?"

"I'm not sure. I hired a new cook on Masamune's recommendation just for our little dinners."

"Really? And Masa actually sent someone to you? You'll destroy their confidence within a week."

"You wound me Little Mouse. I expect it will be the first meal without you."

Her giggles sounded like wind chimes in contrast to his own throaty chuckle.

"Come, sit with me. Our evening meal should be here soon."

She walked across the room. Each step took his pulse higher, and as she sat next to him and took his hand in hers he thought he'd stop breathing. He nearly did as she took THE cord and wound it around his wrist before securing it in a pert little bow.

"I thought you might keep this through dinner for me."

For the first time since she arrived his razor smile nearly faltered as he gulped in anticipation. It seemed he would be getting exactly what he needed after dinner tonight. For a man who couldn't taste anything, he was truly looking forward to dessert.

Before he could properly respond there was another knock on his door. "My Lord, I have the meals for you and the princess."

"Enter" if his voice was a little rough she didn't mention it. Though he caught the hint of a smile as she turned towards the door.

The maid slid open the door and set the trays down in front of them, then backed out. Before she could close the door Mitsuhide called out to her "I am not to be disturbed for the rest of the night. Kyubi can handle anything that comes up before dawn."

"Yes my lord" she said as she slid the door closed.

"Dawn hmm? Someone is feeling sure of himself" the princess teased as she picked up her chopsticks.

He loved when she teased him, warmth softened his eyes as he gazed at her, before turning back to his own meal.

"I'm rescinding my earlier estimation of the new cook" he commented as he looked at his tray for the first time. Unlike the tray before the princess his had a single large bowel filled nearly to the brim with food. "It seems Masamune warned this one of my eating habits. So long as your meal is satisfactory they may last quite a while."