Four

"Is he working today?"

"Yes, its almost time for his shift, you could wait a few minutes though, I'm sure he'll be here soon." The freckled waitress whom Penelope found out her name was Sara, replied her.

Penelope had consecutively visited the diner twice only to be told the waiter, who she now knew was George Simmons, wasn't working.

"Thanks but I don't think I will," Sara nodded and left.

Penelope considered calling it quits and forgetting about the bike, she really didn't think that she'll get it back if she asked nicely, but she also didn't want to involve the cops.

She turned to leave only to see George strolling into the cafe, he paused when he noticed her, his eyes meeting hers for a brief moment before sauntering back outside.

Penelope raised her eyebrows that was definitely not the action of an innocent guy. He was waiting outside when she caught up to him. The sky had turned an overcast gray, thunder rumbled in the distance, and lightning flashed.

"What are you doing here again girly?" He inquired arms folded.

"I think you can guess," Penelope replied, tucking a strand of red hair behind her ear.

"Are you trying to get me fired?"

"I don't know, but it seems like a fair price to pay for stealing my bike don't you think?"

"Again with that bloody bike?"

"I know you have it George," she insisted.

"How in the world do you know my name?"

Penelope refused to say anything and stood fist clenched, glaring at him.

He sighed and ran his fingers through his dark curls, "listen up girly-"

"My name is Penelope Merryweather."

He chuckled like she said something funny and despite herself Penelope thought it was a beautiful sound.

"Nothing merry about this bloody weather is there girly?"

"I just want it back," Penelope pleaded, "its not just any old bike, I have a lot of memories tied to it, my father-"

"Alright Penelope, Penny, can I call you Penny?"

"No," she snapped

"Right then Penny," he plowed on, "I didn't take no bike."

"You did," Penelope pressed.

"Prove it then, can't can you?" George retorted.

The clouds had slowly started to create droplets of rain, still they stood inches from each other, unmoving, eyes locked.

"Simmons," a voice barked from the door of the diner breaking their intense gaze, they both turned to see a short pudgy man giving them a nasty look.

"I don't pay you to show up late and stand around outside ogling some girl," he fumed.

George stepped away from Penelope, "right you are guv, my apologies."

And without a backward glance he followed his boss into the diner.