CHAPTER 4

Everything moved as if time had stood still.

The walls were first to crumble behind her. Picked up off the ground, Jessica felt a force disguised as a powerful gust of wind rush across her scalp down to her tips of her toes.

Baz or whoever that was recited words contrary to the oath of the Green Lantern Corp. Never had she felt power like this erupt from a lantern ring. She returned his words with the oath of the Green Lantern on instinct.

It's the last thing she remembered before everything turned bright.

Flashes of her decent from her apartment window, while in the uniform of the Green Lantern quick to shield her from a fatal fall, Jessica crashed through glass, collided with stone debris and metal rails from the fire escape. She flipped and spun around in multiple directions until everything came to an abrupt end.

Woken by the blare of a car alarm followed by sirens that echoed over her head, Jessica closed her eyes only to then open them and face the shine of blinding lights, sticky leather on her back, and the sudden erratic beeping of a heart monitor in her ear. Nothing seemed at all in direct sequence.

Jessica could feel herself leaping through time every time she opened and closed her eyes.

The face of a panicking young doctor forced to work the night shift in the ER and the nurses, who believed they'd seen it all, couldn't believe what they were looking at; a young woman who shouldn't have survived what she'd gone through with no broken bones.

"Do you think her ring protected her like it should have?" the voice of an unfamiliar woman asked.

"Not sure, she is sharing her power battery."

"Was." the woman made sure to emphasize.

"Keep your voice down."

Jessica opened her eyes to the brush of air hitting her nose and lips; the oxygen of a breathing mask. Stuck with a needle in her arm and its tube that followed, Jessica turned her head to follow the trail where she found an IV.

"You're awake." a relieved voice greeted.

Hard to see what she couldn't help but to think of as a bright orange blob hover above her, Jessica blinked a couple more times until her vision started to clear. There, a blonde haired man with a camera ready smile. "Who are you?" she asked, her voice horse and barely able to project.

"Hi, my name is Michael Jon Carter, a friend sent me to check in on you. How are you feeling?"

"Better once you back the fuck up."

"Sorry." Michael said before he picked up a pitcher of water off the nightstand and began to fill an empty paper cup.

"Your throat is a bit dry, you must be thirsty."

Jessica removed the breathing mask off her face and snatched the IV off her arm.

"You shouldn't, that's for the pain."

Jessica ignored Jon's warning and took the cup of water from his hand.

"Easy now, the water isn't going anywhere."

Not long did it take for her to gulp down the water when she finally came up for air and asked, "I'm I suppose to know who you?"

Michael scooted his stool closer towards Jessica's bed. "You were thrown from your apartment window and landed on top of a park car. Luckily you weren't severely injured thanks your lantern ring. However you did use a lot of its power on Dawnbreaker by sending him to the green realm, so it's to be expected."