The Sidekicks

"Hi, I'm here for the job interview?"

"Name?"

"Forman. Jason Forman."

The hotel receptionist gave the young man a smile then told him to wait until the manager was done interviewing the other candidate as it would take around ten to fifteen minutes more. Being anxious as he was in job interviews, Jason would always arrive this early to mentally prepare himself. So he asked her where the toilet was and took the free time he had to go fix up and release his burden.

Jason followed the lady's instruction, heading down the long hall and making a left turn; and as he was checking his phone while walking, he bumped into a girl. She immediately screamed at him to watch where he was going and as a habit, he repeatedly apologizing for it.

It took him a while to calm down but eventually, he recognized that face. He wouldn't have known who she was had it not been for his best friend spooky relationship with her boss. He'd done a lot of research on Harry Styles to know the girl he had just bumped into was no other than Harry's ex-girlfriend, singer/songwriter/demon in the form of a pretty girl, Lillie Xander.

"You're lucky my Gucci shirt is not crinkled! You obviously couldn't pay for it!" She snarled at him and dusted off her shirt to storm off without one second look back.

Jason had heard a lot about this woman from his best friend, but she was even worse than he'd imagined. He wondered how Harry Styles had gone through two years in a relationship with such an awful person, she was either a very good actress, or Harry was just really dumb, or maybe it was the curse that linked him to someone like her so as to match his previous lives' storyline, whatever it was, Jason truly felt sorry for him.

When Lillie was finally out of sight, Jason proceeded to the toilet. Unexpectedly, another girl bumped into him for the second time!

"I'm sorry!" This one blurted out before he could, which surprised him for he expected the same attitude as Lillie.

Not everyone is the devil, Jason! Said the voice inside his head.

"It's okay, it was my fault...I'm really sorry..." he apologized, yet the girl seemed too distracted to pay attention to his words. "Are you alright, miss?"

"Have you seen Lillie Xander?" She blurted out, catching him off-guard.

"I have, yeah...She just left. Why?" Jason's eyes grew wide. "You know her?"

"Yeah, I was her assistant."

Well, what are the odds...

"Was?"

"Yup, the bitch fired me for leaking her 'private information'." The girl did air quotes as she stuck out her tongue mockingly. "As if the whole world hadn't already known about her constantly cheating on Harry Styles."

"Cheating?! Is that true?!"

Judging by Jason's weird reaction, the girl paused a bit to study his facial expression. She squinted her eyes, scanning him from head to toes, before taking a wild guess, "are you working for those tabloids who write shit about celebrities to ruin their lives?"

It took Jason a while to think of an answer. He rarely lied, especially about his identity, moreover he'd got a job interview in ten minutes or less, he didn't have time for gossip, but he knew this girl hated her old boss and she would be willing to spill everything about Lillie, which might be able to help his best friend or at least his best friend's soulmate (it was still weird for him to use that word). He just knew he couldn't walk away from this opportunity, so he nodded his head quickly.