Chapter 20

Rick Daniels walked along the streets of Circular Quay in the shadow of darkness. It had been a number of months, and still, Rick was trying to keep his empire running. The commissioner had acted swiftly, arresting most of the corrupt cops, and sweeping through the halls of the PIC with a fine toothed comb. Rick had to lie low for a long time to avoid them. He still wanted revenge though. He walked past the old sandstone structures, and down one of the alleyways. Broken glass and some smashed wooden pallets littered the way. The sound of broken glass cracked underneath Rick's boots. He had determined within himself, that when he found Mitch and his crew, he would make it painful.

Behind him, Rick heard the noise of a metal can. Spinning around, he demanded, "Who's there?" Nothing but the cool breeze from the approaching storm could be heard. Another noise drew his attention from in front of him. "Show yourself. Who's there?"

Annoyed, Rick growled, "I'll come and get you then!" He ran to the other end of the alleyway. Looking to the left and right, he saw no-one. On the opposite side of the street, he watched as a homeless person pushed a shopping trolley along. "You, stop right there!"

It was only another footstep, but Rick was not paying attention to where he was walking. The drop was a decent one, as he fell through the hole. There was normally a metal grate at that point in the footpath that prevented people having an accident like Rick just did. He dropped heavily into the underground tunnel system, letting out a loud cry as one of his legs broke with the impact.

As Rick writhed in pain on the cold damp floor of the tunnel, he noticed someone placing the metal grate back in place above him. "No, wait, don't leave me here alone."

"Oh, you're not alone, Rick."

Rick struggled to make out the person walking out from the darker end of the tunnel. He was holding a metal pipe. His hair was grey and messy, but not as wild as Rick's. His feet were bare, and his pants were held up with a rope like belt.

"What are you doing here?" 

"Justice, Rick. It comes in many shapes and sizes, but eventually it does come. Today ... it has come for you."

"Bring it on, old man. I'll take you on, even with a broken leg." Rick was managing to get to his one good leg, when he noticed more people emerging from the shadows in tattered clothing. "What's this?! You're all mad. What do you think you're going to do?"

Rick had asked the question, but he already knew what was going to happen. Above the grate, Rick's muffled cries were swept into the cool night breeze under the clouds and moonlight. Juicy Lucy smiled for once, as she spat into the gutter.

Mitch sat beside Kate's hospital bed, holding her hand with his head rested on the side of her sheets. The doctors had removed the bullet, but she was in a coma. Mitch had not gone back to work for months. Things had been sorted out with Nathan. There was no escape from punishment. He was sentenced, but Mitch had gotten his lawyer who owed him a favour to turn it into a house sentence. If Nathan walked outside the perimeter of the house, he would go to jail. The real punishment for him was not being able to see his Mother, but Mitch kept him updated, even recording messages from Nathan and playing them to Kate as she slept.

Mitch stepped outside to the corridor to get some vending machine coffee. He had lost his desire for quality. His hand shook as he pulled out the flask from his jacket, and tipped some alcohol into the coffee. He had promised never to drink again. A voice behind him made him jump and nearly spill his drink everywhere.

"That stuff's not going to help you, Detective."

"Greg? What are you doing here?"

Greg put his hand on Mitch's arm, grabbed the cup and took it out of his hand. "I just thought I would check in one last time."

"You're going away?"

"Yes, I've nothing left in this town. I don't think I'm going to be alive when my wayward Grandson gets out of jail ... I'm sorry, Mitch, for everything. We've both had tragic losses amidst all this mess. I truly hope Kate recovers."

"You don't have to say that, Greg. When are you going?"

"Straight away. I just wanted to come and tell you that you don't have to worry about Rick Daniels anymore."

Mitch looked at Greg. He had wanted to catch Rick himself.

"I know what you're thinking, Mitch. Just let it go. Sometimes, the streets have a way of sorting themselves out."

Angel appeared at the other end of the corridor. She stood and looked at Mitch and Greg. Greg nodded with a smile on his face, shook Mitch's hand and walked outside.