1: Definition of Cool

[Cover by: silentXscreamer ]

1: Definition of Cool

Cool (adj.): fashionably attractive or impressive; used to express acceptance or agreement.

Aka: not me. Everyone sees me as a nerd. But let's face it, they don't know me. Hardly anyone does. Sure, I don't have too many friends and I'm an only child, but I'm perfectly content. I'd much rather be caught up in my schoolwork and be reading one of my many books. Ok, so maybe I am a nerd. But who cares? I'm just fine as I am.

"Emaline." I look up at my English teacher when she calls my name. I prefer to go by my nickname, Ellie, but I don't mind the teachers calling me by my full name.

"Here," I respond to roll call. As always, I don't speak for the remainder of the period unless I'm called on to answer a question. As soon as the bell rings, I pack up my things. My teacher stops me before I reach the door. Turning on my heel, my voice comes out as nearly a whisper. "Yes?"

"I've been meaning to ask you, what do you think about being a tutor?" Ms. Kelley comes around her desk. I hesitate. Tutoring? Before I can respond, she says, "We're short on tutors this year and I know you are very smart. You have spectacular grades. And not to mention it looks great on college applications. You don't have to answer right away. Just consider it." Speechless, I nod my head. After a quick goodbye, I head out of the classroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After school, I head out of my last class, desperately wanting to go home. On the way to my car, someone bumps into me. I barely catch my binder before it can go flying across the hallway. The person turns towards me and I recognize it as Jake Matthews, one of the most popular kids in the school. "Oh, I'm so sorr-" He stops mid-sentence when he sees me. "Oh. It's-" He's cut off again, this time by his friends. One of them calls out, "Hey! Why are you talking to the nerd?" Laughter immediately follows. Biting back a sigh of annoyance, I brush it off and walk quickly to my car.

While driving home, I can't help but think back to the idea of tutoring. I think it could be fun and maybe I could make a new friend. I decide that I'll talk to Maria about it when I get home. As I pull up to my practically-mansion of a house, I can't help but think about how lucky I am. My parents are both co-owners of a large company so we get a lot of money. I grew up spoiled, but I never let it get to me. A downfall, however, to the glorious life was my parents hardly ever being home. Work held them up quite often so I didn't grow up like a normal child with parents that I saw nearly every day. I felt like Maria and her husband were more like parents to me rather than my actual parents. Maria is our cook/housemaid and was pretty much a nanny to me. Her husband, William, works to keep the yard looking nice and the pool clean. Yes, I said pool. Like I said, spoiled.

Walking in the front door, I immediately head to the kitchen, where Maria is making cookies. I put my backpack down next to the counter and grab one, earning a disapproving look from Maria. "How was school, sweetie," she asks, pulling a batch out of the oven and putting another one in before setting the timer.

"It's school," I say with half a cookie stuffed in my mouth, earning yet another look. I swallow before continuing. "Well, there was something I wanted to talk to you about," I say, sitting down on a stool. "Ms. Kelley wants me to tutor. Do you think it would be a good idea?"

Maria seems to think about it for a moment then says, "I think it's a great idea. A nice way to make more friends." She gives me a pointed look and I roll my eyes. Grabbing my bag (as well as another cookie), I tell her I'm going to go do homework. I trudge up the stairs to my room and immediately turn on my laptop. Turning on some music, I change out of my school clothes into my comfy sweatpants and an old tee, and start singing along as I get my homework.

"She sees them walking in a straight line, that's not really her style.

And they all got the same heartbeat, but hers is falling behind.

Nothing in this world could ever bring them down.

Yeah, they're invincible, and she's just in the background.

And she says,

'I wish that I could be like the cool kids,

'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.

I wish that I could be like the cool kids, like the cool kids.'

He sees them talking with a big smile, but they haven't got a clue.

Yeah, they're living the good life, can't see what he is going through.

They're driving fast cars, but they don't know where they're going.

In the fast lane, living life without knowing.

And he says,

'I wish that I could be like the cool kids,

'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.

I wish that I could be like the cool kids, like the cool kids.

'Cause all the cool kids they seem to get it.

I wish that I could be like the cool kids, like the cool kids.'

And they said,

'I wish that I could be like the cool kids,

'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.

I wish that I could be like the cool kids, like the cool kids.

'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to fit in.

I wish that I could be like the cool kids, like the cool kids.

'Cause all the cool kids, they seem to get it.

I wish that I could be like the cool kids, like the cool kids.'"

Smiling to myself, I get started on my homework.