Chp. 9: The Distance

While Nex was holed up in the navigation chamber, Rake took it upon himself to learn exactly how Dawnblade was alive. At this point, there was no doubt in his mind that she was somehow a sentient creature, yet the nature and limits of her existence continued to puzzle him. The biggest roadblock was there was no obvious way to communicate with her, so solving that that particular puzzle was where he began.

Pacing around the cabin was the clear first step, at least in Rake's mind. Minutes passed and nothing came to him. Agitation was beginning to crawl its way up his spine. Heaving a deep sigh in an attempt to control a near-outburst, Rake simply walked to the opposing wall of the cabin and leaned there on his arms, head tilted to the ground to calm his nerves.

"How am I supposed to talk to a sword," Rake muttered, now hunched over in one of the beds, resting his head over clenched fists. The more time that passed by the stupider he felt trying to talk to a sword.

"You could try, I don't know, asking?" a voice giggled beside him. The collision that followed resulted in an immediate blackout due to the poor unfortunate soul that was Rake, leaping up in shock, and hitting his head on the bottom of the bunk above.

"Your friend came in to check on you," the same voice laughed at a just-awakening Rake Astrohitcher.

"Of course he did," Rake groaned, suddenly aware that he was now gently tucked in bed.

"All his doing," the voice assured. A few moments passed, then, the voice resounded once more, "Why won't you look at me?"

As he turned his head his eyes widened at the sight of a ghastly, naked body. Her wispy, overly long hair being the sole thing that covered her translucent, spiritual frame.

"Dawnblade?" Rake was still attempting to wrap his head around the situation.

"In the flesh, err, spirit." Dawnblade placed her hands on her hips and gave a forced, hearty laugh. "You can call me Dawn, though," she informed him, followed by a quick wink.

"This is a bit much," Rake admitted, though he had his fair share of otherworldly voices this past year. This was especially true when Rakaro was simply replaced by another voice in his head, Dreamsight. Even then, Rake wasn't really sure that Rakaro was gone for good.

"Don't worry, I'm not a voice in your head. I am 100%, completely real," Dawn spoke as if she had just peeked inside her keeper's struggling headspace. "Though, Nex did seem oblivious to my presence when he came to tuck you in," Dawn pursed her lips. "Yep, you're insane," she cooed at him.

Rake responded with a scoff, accompanied by rolling eyes. "If you've been with me any amount of time, that much should be obvious." Acceptance of his new spiritual friend eased onto him like a weight lifting off his chest.

Nex passed through the now disabled barrier from the navigation chamber to the cabin area. Dawn was nowhere to be seen.

"Watch this," she suddenly reappeared, whispering into her wielder's ear. Whispers soon turned into a cackling laugh as Dawn moved in and out of Nex's body, making faces at the both of them.

I'm going absolutely mental.

"What are you staring at?" Nex inquired, causing Rake's attention to shift.

"Nothing," Rake lied, only half paying attention. Part of him was unable to cease staring at Dawn's antics.

Nex looked at him with a skeptical yet worrisome gaze. "Another vision?"

"You'll think I'm crazy." Rake became distraught, dragging himself up into a seated position.

"I already think you're crazy," Nex encouraged him, placing a hand on his shoulder.