Chapter 5

March 16, 1935

Offering His Acquaintance

          First impressions are everything to Tom Riddle. How you first present yourself to him would be the impression he would carry of you for his whole lifetime, if he doesn't happen to forget you, that is. People who caught on his aura would know not to disappoint his expectations, because Hell like the young Riddle would waste such precious time in getting to know someone he would not acquaint himself with.

Truly a waste of time.

However...

You've proven yourself to be quite an exception; for, here he is now, standing in front of your room in a Saturday morning instead of spending his time reading a book at the library. Alone.

He plans on making a good impression for you to trust him for the reasons that most people would not find just: exploiting and blackmailing you with any weaknesses he can find through your conversations with him-- that is, if you plan to cooperate and flow naturally with his plans. If you don't, well, you just might prove yourself to be a threat to the hierarchy he built within the orphanage.

New comers are not spared from his lack of tolerance.

You are starting to become a nuisance.

~*~*~

Sitting on your bed, you fiddled with the locket your father gave you, checking its markings for the umpteenth time. Other than the quote 'Be good.', behind it was your family's emblem: a dragon. Dragons were associated with Merlin for years, with reasons unknown. Because of that, it became a signature of sorts to the Emrys descendants. Although, like you mentioned before, no one knows the context behind it.

You stared at the locket, not knowing how to open it. It was locked. You would've opened it by now if you knew how to, but it was tight shut.

You tried the alohomora spell, but still nothing, which left you to the conclusion that the locket was enchanted and can only be opened with either a really tiny key or a password. Or perhaps only a specific spell can open this.

Or maybe you failed your wandless attempt of a charm? No, you were sure you got that right. You've done it five times before; why fail now? You were confident with your magic.

But, maybe it can only be unlocked with the alohomora charm with a wand...?

...Well that's stupid.

Either way, you won't be knowing its contents until it's open. You'll just have to endure the curiosity eating your insides.

Hearing a knock on your door, you prepared yourself, expecting the sudden visitor to be the only friend you have in this place, Mary, and accompany her for your free time like you promised. Tucking the locket behind your dress' neck collar, you walked towards the door to open it, only to be met with disappointment and slight dread at the person who greeted you on the other side.

"... May I help you, Riddle?" You inquired rather rhetorically, hoping the ravenette wouldn't answer and just say he stumbled upon the wrong door. You purposely made yourself sound cold, hoping he would realize that his presence was unwelcome. It's not that you don't like him; you just don't like the ideas you associate with him: him being identical to a pure blood. And his brooding aura didn't help your opinion over him either. It was uncomfortable to think he felt identical to the people who shames your kind, being a 'blood-traitor', that is. Especially after what happened to your parents that was caused by the very kin that pure-bloods despise, and your kind defends.