Chapter One RE

Sabre hasn't been able to see since he was a kid, with a freak accident caused by him messing with his father's tools in the shed. He remembered it well.

I stood in a dust-covered room, covered wall-to-wall in specific tools from wrenches to weedwhackers. An old, rusted lawnmower sat next to a broken dog bowl. I dragged a couple fingers through the overly thick dust, leaving behind deep gouges. I heard the small building begin to creak and rattle. I remembered screaming as the building collapsed.

A lot happened that day. Sabre had lost his eyes by extreme pressure. He had hated living life without sight. 

And then someone came along to pick him out of the debris and became his friend.

It was a cold November morning that day in second grade. I hated the cold, it sucked and made the benches freezing cold.

''Hey!''

I looked up to hear a boy my age. I remembered him explaining to me what he was wearing; a shark-onesie and sunglasses. He walked over to me and sat next to me. I could feel his gaze piercing me as he stared.

''Aren't you gonna say anything?''

I blinked before nodding slowly. ''Sorry, yeah. You just... surprised me.''

''Oh, I'm sorry.'' the poor boy sounded so unhappy that it made my heart ache.

''No no, it's alright! I'm Sabre by the way!''

''I'm Andrew, but you can call me Shark!'' the boy was happy again, bouncing his leg and making the bench shake. I giggled for the first time in a while.

''Nice to meet you Shark. Wanna be friends?''

Sabre sighed as he took another sip of his coffee. He shivered, setting it down on the small table as he pulled his jacket closer. Sabre finally zipped the thing up, huffing impatiently when the zipper got stuck. He struggled for a good minute, getting ticked off at the inanimate object until it finally moved.

''Come on Sabre, break's over!'' James, his co-manager, called across the room, catching the attention of a couple people in the café. 

Sabre stood, downing the rest of his coffee. He moved carefully toward the trashcan, weaving between the tables like a pro. He tossed it into the trash, listening for it to hit the bag. It did, and he moved away, heading toward the counter.

Too bad there was something he never counted for. 

A new worker.

He crashed into the waiter who was leaving the kitchen, knocking the drinks they were carrying onto himself and them. The person, who was now confirmed as female, shrieked, ''MY CLOTHES!''

Sabre backed up, the heated coffees and teas burning his skin, his hands up in the air.

''Oh shoot, I'm sorry, I didn't mean-''

''WHAT THE HELL MAN? WATCH WHERE YOU'RE WALKING!''

Sabre cringed, turning his head away, embarrassed. Of course, he had to walk into the newbie who didn't know that Sabre can't watch where he's walking.

''Amber, back off.''

''What makes you have the right to tell me what to do!? I want to talk to the manager to get this man fired and this one out of here!''

Sabre brought his fingers to the bridge of his nose. ''Ma'am- I am the manager. Well, co-manager.''

''What kind of idiot gives a person who has a disability a job so important as that?!'' Amber continued to shriek. Muttering sounded from the customers waiting for their drinks and where they sat. Sabre's hand curled into a fist.