chapter four

AN: Thank you all for the love and support for this book but most importantly the patience as I continue working on it. I hope this chapter will be enough of an apology for making you all wait so long. Much love!

After breakfast, Mary had decided instead of going with Frank and Ryn to the latest boat he was fixing up, she would go over to Roberta's

After breakfast, Mary had decided instead of going with Frank and Ryn to the latest boat he was fixing up, she would go over to Roberta's. That way she could hopefully come up with a master plan and no one would have to worry about Boston ever again. Ryn was secretly grateful because that meant she could have a discussion with Frank about things.

"So, you fix boats now?" She figured it would be better to start off slow.

Frank chuckled. "I was wondering when that question was going to come up."

"I just find it an interesting career change. And you're actually good at this?"

"I think you have forgotten how many times I helped you with that old clunker of a car you used to drive around."

Ryn gasped. "Don't you disrespect her that way. Especially now that you've got this." She patted the dashboard of Frank's truck.

He gave her a quick glance before focusing back on the road. "That thing broke down on you at least once a month."

"Well, it's a good thing I had such a rugged budding mechanic at my beck and call." She shook her head with a laugh. "How many women have you brought down to a boat you've been working on?" She looked over at him with a raised eyebrow.

There was a mixture of a smirk and a sheepish look that graced his features. He felt a little guilty for getting caught but this was also a prime time to tease Ryn. "Why? You trying to make sure you're the first?"

Ryn rolled her eyes, glad that they were stopping so she could get out and away from the thought he had put in her head for at least a little bit. "No." She said, getting out of the truck.

A true smirk graced his features at the knowledge that he had gotten to her. She even set the whole thing up so nicely so really she couldn't be mad. "There's not much space on this one anyway so don't worry, I won't try anything."

"Good, because I thought I made that perfectly clear last night." She stuffed her hands in her pockets as she followed him out to the boat.

"Oh, you did."

She sat on the pier, resting against the post the boat was tied to while Frank was down working in the boat. For awhile, there was silence between them as Frank worked and Ryn soaked up rays from the sun and listened to the water lapping at the shore. "You know what I can't fathom?" She finally spoke up when she couldn't hold back any longer.

"That I now work on boats? We just had this conversation, Ryn." Frank teased from where he was working on the motor.

"No, well, I mean yes, but that's not what I meant." She sat up a little straighter so she could watch him as he worked, hoping to catch onto any non verbal cues. "What I can't fathom is how you let Evelyn take Mary to Boston. You know she only wants that little girl so she can figure out that fancy math problem."