Chapter Twenty-Five

"Who said that?!" Todomatsu yelled, whipping his head to look around the heavenly room. From the corner of my eye, I thought the statue seemed to move its tail. Hopefully, that was an illusion, because I didn't want to face a dragon on top of another dragon.

"It was me, young one. My name is Akira, meaning bright. I am the protector of all masters, no matter how old they may be," the voice repeated, and it seemed to be coming from the statue. We looked over at the marble dragon, and it blinked once, almost causing a startled scream from me and my brother. Its eyes were no longer rubies, but large ovals of gentle blue. Its fur began to wave in unfelt wind.

The dragon cocked its head, and realized what it had done. "Oh, I am deeply sorry for scaring you!" he profusely apologized. He hopped off the pedestal he had formerly been perched on, looking at us with a gentle blue gaze. "I'm sorry, young ones. Now, I wish to know who you are?" he said, settling down in front of us again. He was huge, towering at least nine or ten feet. "Like hell I'll tell yo-" Todomatsu began to gripe, but I cut him off, growling "Totty," under my breath.

"My name is Ichimatsu Matsuno, and this is my youngest brother Todomatsu. We are elemental masters of ice and water, and we would like to know if you have seen our friend Hatabou, or if you could help us," I stated, and Todomatsu shot a glare at me, his blue gaze boring into my neck, but I completely ignored it. "Hatabou?" Akira tilted his head in confusion. "Half our size, green overalls, flag of Japan in his head?" Todomatsu asked.

Akira closed his eyes, and opened them again in a moment's notice. "Ah, I remember him! He's escaped this temple, and I helped him," Akira bowed his head. "What the fuck! We need him to defeat Ry-" Todomatsu began shrilly yelling, and I shot him a look to shut him up. "Thank you for helping our friend to safety, Akira," I bowed, and Akira smiled. "You are welcome, young Ichimatsu," he replied.

"What did you mean by protector of all masters? What does that mean?" Todomatsu asked, and Akira stood, his tail flicking. "Ah! I could explain!" he began, turning tail, beckoning for us to tread after him with a nod of his large head. As we followed him around the corner of the large stone building, we came across a larger mural, the same as the one leading to the dungeon cells. "Long ago, in ancient times, elemental masters were the protectors of humanity, gifted powers to keep peace in balance.

Unfortunately, darkness seemed to escape, seething through cracks, and jumped onto the masters. They fought long, they fought hard. Wars broke out, and elemental masters began to take on apprentices and have children, effectively spreading their powers unto many bloodlines. The darkness, unable to surrender, spat out a new demon. He had no name, but he was a dragon like I," Akira began, gesturing to the dark dragon he was twisting and roaring around in the mural.

"He was a bloodthirsty monster. Created for the sole purpose of warring, and fighting. He was a dark soul, rivaling mine. You see, I looked over the original elemental masters, and I've looked over their offspring over many generations. I know where the bloodlines lead to. One would say, I gave the original masters their powers," Akira smirked before continuing. 

"While the masters fought the demon army he summoned, I went to war with him. It was grueling, protecting this here sanctuary and warring with a demon dragon. I protected the human race from harm, especially those who mated with masters. The demons would grow powerful, and begin to take the war back. It was only a matter of fights before darkness would win," Akira mused, his eyes dropping with sadness.

Todomatsu, who had been studying the mural, glanced up to Akira's bowed head. "Did you win?" he asked. Akira straightened his regal figure, his eyes widened with no particular emotion.

"You could say. I outsmarted him, along with the original master of ice. We locked him into the underworld, or as you humans call it, Hell. Into a prison cell impenetrable by no creature, so his reign could end. With their master gone, the demons faded back into Hell with him. But it wasn't enough. Some of them would corrupt masters, turning them against humans and uprising the rumors that all elemental masters are despicable. They made these humans defile this temple, erect the traps and tricks. They're responsible for those traps.