Chapter 22: I Sure Need You to Lie

Genji and Zen had been together for the rest of the night, and also didn't part ways the following day (except for one moment where Zen left to talk to a Rookie friend about his mission). Genji felt like he'd been walking on clouds all day, laughing easily at McCree's jokes and not being bothered by Moira's bickering at all. It was like last night's kiss had provided Genji with an invisible barrier that protected him wherever he went. He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt this happy.

So, when they headed towards Reyes' office together in the evening, Genji couldn't bring it in himself to worry. Zen, however, seemed quieter than usual, and was lost deep in his thoughts as they walked. Genji felt the urge to hold his hand, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to make their relationship public yet, so he refrained.

Zen barely seemed to have noticed they'd arrived at Reyes' office, visibly startling when Genji knocked on the door. Reyes' response was instant.

"Enter."

With a hand gesture, Genji mentioned for Zen to head in first. Zen nodded in thanks and went in front.

When they both had taken their seats in the two chairs, Genji instantly felt that the atmosphere was nowhere as relaxed as it'd been yesterday; in comparison to yesterday, the office seemed completely different. With both Zen and Reyes seeming very tense, Genji gradually felt his peaceful mood vanish, and he anxiously awaited Reyes' first words.

It took a long time, but eventually, Reyes sighed and apparently decided he couldn't prolong the silence any longer.

"I've brought you here because I thought it was time to tell the truth," Reyes spoke, looking directly at Genji; he didn't even glance at Zen once. When Genji looked round at Zen, he realized the omnic was looking at him as well. His anxiety was increasing rapidly.

"..the truth?" Genji asked weakly, looking back and forth between Zen and Reyes. He suddenly wanted to be anywhere but here. He was no longer curious about this meeting's topic—he just wanted to leave and stay oblivious forever.

"Zenyatta and I have both kept something from you, because we believed it to be best for you." Reyes' voice was uncertain and careful, like he was trying not to anger Genji. Genji found he was unable to look away from the commander.

After taking a very deep breath, Reyes admitted, "Zenyatta is not a Rookie, nor has he ever been one."

Genji gaped at him blankly.

"W-What do you mean..?" he asked quietly. He felt his heart clench in his chest, and wanted Reyes to stop talking.

"Does the name Tekhartha ring any bells?" Reyes inquired carefully.

It took a second, but when it clicked Genji felt his mouth fall open in shock. Tekhartha? As in, Overwatch's head psychiatrist Tekhartha? Everyone in Blackwatch had heard of him, mostly through jokes, but he'd never shown himself here before. Was Reyes saying that.. Zenyatta was the well-known Tekhartha..? He'd been a psychiatrist all along?

Genji tried to form a question, but was only able to bring out some weak stutters. He was waiting—praying—for Reyes to laugh and yell, 'Just kidding! Got you good!' but the commander's face remained as stoic as ever.

"I personally asked for his transfer here after your demotion," Reyes continued seriously, clearly having seen from Genji's expression that he'd heard of Tekhartha. "I knew you'd never accept help, and ordering you to see a psychiatrist would only lead to more anger, so I decided to have Tekhartha work undercover."

After another failed attempt, Genji found his voice again. "Please tell me you're joking."

"I'm afraid not."