Bed of Roses

"Harley?" Ivy called as she peeked into the funhouse. She had a feeling that something was wrong. Her plants sensed that Harley was upset. At first, Ivy thought Harley had been picking off flower petals daydreaming about The Joker again. But it was more than that this time. She was unsure so she went to visit the clowns themselves. She walked further inside, closing the door behind her.

        "Harley, darling, it's Ivy." Her soft voice echoed off the large area. She walked down a hall and turned right. That's when she heard soft whimpers from inside one of the rooms. Her head turned to a door a little down the hall. The wooden door was cracked open just a smidge. Ivy walked closer then placed her hand on the door to slowly push it open. A bedroom was revealed along with an unmade bed and objects thrown all across the room. Things were scattered about the floor. Ivy's eyes travelled from the mess to a beaten and bruised jester: Harley Quinn. Her back was turned to the door and she was curled up in the fetal position. Ivy's eyes widened at the sight.

        "G-Go away. P-Please!" Harley murmured, only having heard the door creak open. Ivy ran towards her best friend and kneeled beside her, placing a hand on her shoulder to which she flinched to.

        "Harley. It's me, Ivy." She said, carefully turning the clown to face her. Her makeup was smeared and a large red mark was visible beneath the white face paint on her cheek. Once on her back, her bright blue eyes looked up at her friend.

        "Red? What..." She moved a bit, trying to sit up. She obviously wasn't expecting Ivy to be there and became, well, embarrassed. Ivy placed an arm beneath her back and helped lean her up. "What are you doin' here?" Her high voice nearly cracked.

        "I knew something was wrong..." Ivy shook her head, saddened by her friend's state, "What happened this time?" Her emerald eyes showed something they rarely ever did: sympathy.

        "N-Nothin'." Harley claimed, trying to sit up more on her own but moaned in pain instead. Ivy held onto her friend, pushing a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear.

        "Tell me the truth." Ivy looked her in the eyes for only really a moment as Harley quickly looked away.

        "What does it matter?" She blinked her watery eyes to suppress her tears and bit her lip, "I just don't wanna talk about it, Red." She muttered, trying to escape the woman's gentle grasp. Ivy shook her head, pulling Harley closer into a hug. Harley hesitated but then hugged her back, not expecting Ivy to do that.

        "I wish you would listen to me." Ivy whispered, placing a hand on the back of Harley's head. Harley buried her face into Ivy's red hair, resting her chin on her shoulder. "I wish you would save yourself the pain."

        The tears were getting harder to hold back. "But, Ivy, he..." She almost couldn't say it. Perhaps after whatever happened, she found herself doubting his affections. But Ivy knew the exact words she was going to say.

        "No, darling, he doesn't."

        She didn't expect Harley to gasp so loudly in her ear. Not in surprise but more in pain. Mental pain. Ivy felt her clown companion's tears drop onto her shoulder. The hand she had on Harley's back travelled down then up again in a soothing motion. Harley's breathing became irregular as she tried her very best to compose herself. It just didn't work.

        "Let me take you home." Ivy suggested softly, glancing over at what she could see of Harley at that angle, "I'll lay you down on a nice, big bed of roses." Harley whimpered a bit then finally pulled back from Ivy. She nodded a few times, wiping her tears that caused her makeup to run. Ivy looked at her and placed a hand on her cheek, her thumb moving across to pick up any tears Harley missed. The clown flinched slightly as it was her bad cheek. Ivy shook her head and helped Harley up. Small grunts of pain were heard as she tried to stand. Her knee was scrapped, her jester costume ripped, and the parts that weren't ripped probably hid bruises. She limped a bit but then stretched out her leg and tried to walk normally once more. Ivy stayed by her side all the while, acting as her cane. Together, they walked out of the funhouse. Joker was no where to be seen. He probably stormed off in anger.