Chapter Three, Part 2

Asher’s lungs tightened as his master left the room. His instinct was to follow Galen, but he dared not upset Lilian, at least until his father was safe. Farmer stood gaping across the room.

“Perhaps he should be restrained,” Sir Jerrold said.

“No,” the Queen said. “Let him go. Focus on the task at hand. Prepare your men at once. Bring me this Scion, alive.”

The military in the room departed quickly. Finn placed a hand on Asher’s shoulder, and they shared a nod before the squire marched after Sir Willem. As the Clerk caned his way to the door, the Queen called to him.

“Sir Clerk! Send the birds.”

The old man stopped and bowed, his beard sweeping the floor.

“Majesty,” Asher said.

Her eyes whipped to Asher, but she hesitated on his face. They hadn’t spoken since the emotional exchange following Miriam’s death. “Apprentice Healer. You must choose a path as well.” There was a hint of regret in her voice now.

“What about my father?”

“Your father?” Her eyes went to Farmer’s piqued face and back to Asher, understanding coming to her. It was an understanding deeper than anyone else would have guessed.

“He is being held for desertion,” the Clerk said.

“I see.” The Queen paused to consider.

Farmer pushed away from the Smith, sensing his moment. He stood straight, on his own two legs, looking both pitiful and strong.

“Keller,” Lilian said. “Is the guest house available?”

“Empty since your crowning, my Lady.”

“Arrange for our southron friends to stay there. They are absolved of all crimes. As long as you are in Riverdale, dear Farmer”—she tipped her head to him—“you will be my guest.”

“Thank’ee, Majester!” Smith blurted, weepy-eyed. Farmer bowed his head to her and staggered forward. Asher jumped to him, catching the man’s weight on his shoulders.

He gathered his father in his arms and secured the trembling man on his feet. “They’re going to take care of you,” Asher whispered, though he felt no relief.

Farmer grunted acknowledgment, steadying himself against his son.

“I have to go again.” Asher’s heart broke to say it. A terrible choice lay before him. “I’ll come back soon. I promise.”

Thanks for reading!                     Please vote if you're enjoying the ride!

                          visit www.beautifulbooks.com for more info