Part 3

Spencer PoV

I mentally scolded myself. How the hell did I let that happen? I had never lost control in front of someone before. But there was something about Liam that forced me to feel, but in a gentle way. Something about him that made me think, even if I did break down, he wouldn't judge me or anything. And that scared me. What if I couldn't stop myself from opening up to him, and then I was wrong? And then he hates me too?

I realized quite suddenly that I'd reached my front door, and that Liam's car had not moved from its spot in front of my house. I don't know if he was in shock or what, but I didn't turn around as I opened the door and walked into my house. Immediately, John and William came to 'greet' me from the kitchen. John and William were my dads two sons that had come to act as my guardians for a short time while my dad was off somewhere doing god knows what to scrounge up money for my mom's hospital bills.

John came forward, his arms angrily crossed over his chest, "Where the hell were you?"

I spoke, unable to recognize my voice as my own in its weak state, "I was at a friends house. We have an English proje-"

"And this friend. It's a guy?"

"Yes but sinc-"

"What did we tell you about going over to guys houses?"

"But it was for a project so I thought it would be fi-" my cheek stung and suddenly I was looking to my right. I brought my hand up to my cheek as I looked him in the eye.

I could see it, he was a little shocked he'd actually laid a hand on me, but his features quickly turned stone cold again. "You know we can't trust you. How do we know you weren't over there just to act like a fag?" He dropped his gaze as he motioned upstairs, "Go... go clean that up."

I didn't realize what he was talking about until I looked at myself in my mirror and realized his ring had managed to leave a bleeding scrape across my face. Great. I pulled out the first aid kit I kept in my bathroom and managed to get it patched up. It wasn't deep at all, but it had managed to take on a greenish tint at the edges.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I had been outed to my very homophonic older half brothers. And though, well normally, their hatred took no physical form, my household had become nothing more than a grounds for emotional abuse.

I had almost cried from joy when our humanities teacher announced we'd be doing collaborative work. That meant I would have an excuse not to go home to that at least every few days. I also knew exactly who I'd be pairing with. I still remember Micheal's words, "Yeah he's an asshole. No one likes him cause he doesn't care about anything," and thinking in that moment, yeah I'm gonna be good friends with this guy. Because someone who didn't care was exactly who I needed. Micheal had asked too many questions, as, I suspected, others would have as well. Things like 'where are you from?' 'do you like it here?' kept coming from his mouth and raising my anxiety.

You know what Liam had said when I asked him to take me to the hospital? Absolutely nothing. He hadn't even looked at me with pity, and in those moments I felt the world lifted off my shoulders. This was someone who would judge me for himself, before accidentally finding all the skeletons in my closet (no pun intended), rather than marching right in and knocking as loud as he possibly could on the closet doors, with no regards for the repercussions.

When he actually had asked the first question, "Any siblings?" it was almost comical. That had to be the first question he asked. I answered though, because, like I said, Liam just had the vibe.

And his response? "Oh. That's rough." That's when I couldn't hold back a laugh. The first person I had told about my new found siblings had told me I should be happy. Excited, even, to have new members of the family. And Liam, without any context, had nailed it on the first try.

I made my way to bed, knowing I didn't have enough emotional availability to stay awake any longer.

***

I was waiting outside Delacruz's room long before school was scheduled to start. William was my only ride and he didn't want to drive into town twice so he just dropped me off when he went to work, which was significantly earlier. I almost stopped breathing when I realized Liam had arrived and began to make his way over to me. I didn't know what I would say. My worry was that he would immediately ask me about what had happened when he dropped me off yesterday, and I hadn't prepared an answer yet. However, when I turned to look at him, his brows furrowed and his features became laced with concern as his eyes landed on my cheek. Ah, I forgot about that. I hadn't thought of an excuse for that, either. When he got close enough, he brought up his hand and traced the cut with his soft fingers. I don't know why he did it. I don't even know if he realized he was doing it. My eyes went wide and I had to gulp to stop myself from choking on my spit. He must've realized what he was doing, because he dropped his hand and avoided my eyes. I could still feel the tingle his fingertips left on the surface of my cheek. His cheeks became a tainted pink, as I'm sure mine already were.

"What happened?"

My stomach dropped. "Uh, n- nothing. I just scratched it when I fell earlier." I knew he didn't buy it. Hell, I didn't even buy it. I could think of no instance where you could fall and scratch your face, especially like this.

He must've decided it best not to press the issue, as he joined me in leaning on the wall with a simple, "Hm." And again, I was glad he was who he was.

~~~

We love Spencer (or at least I do) ; sorry it's short I just needed this one part to be Spencer's pov ; also sorry the pic have nothing to do with anything lmao I just liked the photo