Chapter 2: The Mission

My body was reforged in the hanger bay, the smell of metal filling my nostrils. I stumbled for a second, struggling to maintain balance. I found my footing, standing up. A pair of emerald eyes stared at me from above a railing. A tall, powerfully built woman gazed back at me, her face completely blank of emotion. Her hair lazily flowed down her back from her military officer's hat. The sign of a golden anchor was imprinted on it.

"Hello, colonel." She said, her voice a deep purr. "I see you've been rather busy."

"Where's the rest of my squad?" I demanded, my voice harsher than intended.

"They're out there winning a battle. With The Hailstorm at their side, it's impossible for them to lose." She replied.

"Then why am I here?" I asked. "I'm just a colonel. Were you trying to beam up Dolt?"

She laughed. "That old fool? Hell no. Come with me." She raised a finger indicating me to follow.

I let out a low growl, stepping up the ramp. When I finally reached the railing, she turned to a door and walked out into the grey corridor. I followed, swinging my rifle over my shoulder. We walked for a while, taking two turns before finally stopping at a door with a hololock.

She lent down to the keypad, her fingers quickly inputting the code. The door opened with a swish of air. We stepped into a large, black room. At the center of it was a star map, which was the only source of light. I blinked.

"What's all this about?" I asked, eyeing the star map curiously.

"This is about the future of mankind, Colonel." She replied, her voice turning serious. " I'm sure you're wondering who I am." She was walking around the star map now, casting an inspecting gaze towards me.

It was a question I'd had on mind since arriving. "I am Grand Admiral Elizabeth Morringham." She replied, sharply.

I gazed up in awe. "Wait....what? Why in the name of Jesus did you even come here? Surely you have better things to do."

She laughed softly. "I really don't."

"For a member of the Council of Command, you must've ethier been really bored or really stupid to save our asses." I crossed my arms, trying to look smug.

She rolled her eyes, returning her attention to the star map. "Anyways, I saved your ass first because you're rather important, believe it or not."

I bit back a chuckle, as much as I could anyways, and said "you're joking, right?"

She gave me a stern look. "No. I most certainly am not."

I let out a burst of laughter. "Listen, uh, Admiral. I think you got the wrong guy. I'm just a colonel who's managed to survive a lot of battles."

She sighed and pulled out a holographic image of me on her watch, comparing the two for a second. "No, we have the right guy."

I blinked, my face suddenly drawing a blank. "So, why am I important?" I asked.

"Because, you're going to become the savior of mankind." She stated flatly.

I blinked. "Uhh, English?"

She sighed. "You are the last of an ancient race who roamed Earth before even the Dinosaurs. And you are stronger than even I. Don't believe me?" She pressed a button on her wrist. A small metal table raised out of the center of the room. She put her arm on it. "Try me."

I took a deep breath. You're about to get your ass beat.

I put my hand down on the table, grasping hers. It was silky soft, but I barely noticed. I was too focused.