Chapter 13

I woke up when I felt someone shaking me.

"Lila, wake up baby. We're almost there." My mom said.

We were heading down to North Carolina where Rudy's funeral would be taken place. We were burying him next to my grandfather's tomb down at our old church.

It had been three weeks since Rudy died and everything had been horrible for me. I could barely sleep because I would always stay up late crying over Rudy and when I could get some sleep I'd have nightmares of Jodi.

Life was getting worse and worse as each day went on. Riley still wasn't talking to me and I really needed her especially at that point. My mom was really taking it hard, I'd never seen her so distraught and weak.

I knew my dad was devastated as well but he kept his composure and stayed strong for my mom and I. He was making things easier for us as much as he could.

We arrived at my Uncle's house, all of our North Carolina family there. There was food everywhere and people were already grubbing down.

"Amir, Caylah! Nice to see you guys again!" My Uncle River greeted my parents.

This man was ridiculously hugmongus. A 6'7 giant with tattooed muscles for days. Him and my dad were basically twins besides the fact my dad was three years older and a couple inches shorter.

"And is this little Lila?! Damn. Done grew up tall as hell." He said laughing.

I cracked a smile. "We've only been gone for like six months."

He waved me off playfully and turned back to my parents. My mom and dad talked to him for a few moments then went inside to join the rest of the family.

I started to follow my parents. "Lila." Unc River stopped me. "I know you miss Rudy more then anything but I want you to be strong for me. I don't want to see my favorite niece crying. Can you do that for me?"

I looked at him but his words just made me want to start crying again. I hugged him. "I'll try." I mumbled into his shirt.

"Okay. Let's get inside and feed you. You're slimmin away." He said rubbing my back and leading us into the house.

NC hadn't change much, still was boring and dull as usual. But aftet about a week and a half now and I was feeling a lot better.. well at least around my family I was; at night the insomnia and occasional nightmares still happened.

I was sitting in my Uncle's enormous den, watching Attack on Titans. It was around 11:30 at night and as usual I couldn't sleep.

I was digging into the bag of chips on my lap when my Unc River walked in with four nıggas almost as big as him.

"Hey Lila, what are you still doing up? Go to bed." He said grabbing the remote and turning the tv off.

I groaned and stood up. "I'm not tired though. Can I at least stay up 'til 12:30?"

He tossed me the remote. "12:30. That's it."

I smiled brightly and went back to watching tv. Well I wasn't really watching it, I was more daydreaming about Rudy more than anything.

It was going on 12:30 and I decided to go ahead and head upstairs to the room I was staying in.

"Hey Uncle River, I'm heading to bed." I said walking into the kitchen.

He looked like he was having a heated discussion with the four men from earlier. He turned around. "Li, come 'ere. I need to know something real quick."

I walked over to him and gave him a questioning look. "Your mother told me how Rudy died.. Do you know who did it?" He asked looking at me seriously.

I thought about it and thought of Kyro.. But he still had needed Rudy right? Maybe it was one of Kyro's rivals. I wasn't sure.

"I don't know." I answered honestly.

"Well you know he was runnin' them streets right?"

"Yeah but he was more a cook than a street solider." I corrected him.

"Right, right. But I knew he was f*ckin' up when not even a month after y'all moved he was trying to get me to become his "boss's" new connect." He said laughing.

I looked at him confused but it then clicked. "You sell drugs Uncle River?"

He just laughed. "Na duh."

I glared at him but I wasn't surprised. That nıgga had the look to be a Kingpin.

He stopped laughing and cut his grey eyes at me. "If you find out who did this, you tell me immediately. Understand?"

I nodded my head and quickly said my goodnights to everyone, rushing out of the room.

------------------------

It was five days later, a Saturday afternoon and I was finally back home but wishing I could had stayed in NC. The house felt so empty and depressing. I couldn't stand it.

I lied down on my bed and looked up at my ceiling mirror. "Damn, I'm ugly." I thought to myself.

"Lila?" My dad spoke, knocking on my door.

"Come in."

He pushed my door open and looked in. "How are you doing?"

He walked over and sat down on the edge of my bed, near my unpacked suitcases. "I'm fine. I've been handling things a lot better now." I said proudly.

He stared at me for a few moments before grabbing my hand. "Listen Li, I was wondering if you could spend a few days at a friends house. I think it would be best if your mother and I went away for minute.. She hasn't been handling any of this as well as you."

I looked at him confused. "What?? No. Why can't I go with you guys? And plus we just got back home." I asked angrily.

He exhaled deeply. "Your mother just needs to be by herself. I'm only going with her cause I don't want anything bad to happen.

I leaned back and rolled my eyes. I didn't understand why my mom would want to be by herself. She should want to be around family, especially her daughter. But seeing my dad's face, I thought about it and agreed, even though I had no where to go. I guessed that I could go make up with Riley and maybe she'd let me stay with her.

My dad thanked me and got up and left. I waited a few minutes, building up some confidence and grabbed my phone, scrolling down to Riley's contact.

"I'm busy." Riley said answering the phone in a bored tone. To say I was surprised she actually picked up was an understatement.

"No you're not Riley. Please talk to me." I pleaded.

"Okay then.. What's there to talk about?"

I got quiet for a moment. "Well, I know you heard about my brother.."

"Yeah.. I'm sorry about that Lila." She said sounding genuine.

I did a half smile. "It's alright. I'm doing better." I got quiet. Still trying to build up the confidence to ask her this next question. "But, I um.. I need a place to stay for a few days.. and I was wondering if I could, ya know, stay with you?"

"How long is a few days?"

"A week?" I said, not sure.

"Ight, I'll ask my grandma. Hold on."

I sat waiting for about five minutes, playing with my fingernails. I was thinking if her grandmother said yes, hopefully by the time I left her house Riley and I would be best friends again.

"She said yeah."

"Okay, thanks Riley." I said cheerfully.

"You're welcome." She paused. "We gotta talk about us anyway."

---------------------------

Sorry for this filler chapter.

I'm thinking of starting a new book.

Comment and vote please! ♡