one.

The rambunctious blaring of the small alarm clock jarred Donna out of her peaceful sleep

               The rambunctious blaring of the small alarm clock jarred Donna out of her peaceful sleep. She jolted up, smashing the snooze button as hard as she possibly could. The time is around seven o' clock in the morning and she realizes that she has to be at school no later than seven forty-five. Luckily, Beecher High School is only ten minutes away from her home.

               Donna peeled the covers away from her body before sinking her feet into the white carpet. She could see the bright sun making its way into her bedroom while her neighbors were getting in their cars and going to work. Everyone in her quaint, little neighborhood had jobs. Whether it was a janitor at some big company, a mechanic, or in Donna's mother's case, a grocery store employee. The women in Detroit rarely worked.

               They were too busy cooking and cleaning up after their husbands. But in Maybelle's case, she didn't have a husband and wasn't looking either. Donna's father went out for a pack of cigarettes and never came back. Well, at least that's what her mother tells her every time she asks about him. She was only a baby at the time he left Maybelle high and dry.

               "Donna! Breakfast!" Maybelle yelled while flipping her infamous strawberry pancakes on the stove. You Can't Hurry Love played on the kitchen radio as Donna's best friend and next door neighbor, Evangeline entered the two story home. "Good morning Miss Maybelle!"

               It'd became a daily routine for Evangeline to come inside and wait for Donna to finish getting dressed for school. Maybelle didn't mind it. She just didn't like when Evangeline entered without knocking on the front door first. "Good morning Evie. What I tell you about comin' in my kitchen unannounced? You almost gave me a heart attack!"

               "I'm sorry Miss Maybelle, I thought you heard me open the front door. It won't happen again-"

               "Girl it's alright. Go wash your hands. I'll make you a plate." Maybelle waved her off before grabbing a glass plate from the cabinet.

               While upstairs, Donna had finally finished getting dressed. Wearing a simple pink and white plaid skirt with a crisp white shirt. Plaid skirts were her signature style. They were cute and comfortable. She removed the curlers out of her honey brown hair before placing them inside her hair care box.

               One thing Maybelle taught her was to always take care of your hair. It didn't matter what outfit you wore. Your hair was the only thing that mattered. Her curly hair fell at the beginning of her back and she made sure to spray half a can of 'Pink Lady' hairspray on it before grabbing her purse.