Chapter 20

Katherine drove slowly as they looked for the turning into Wendy's house. It was the city so everything was cramped and small. 'Wendy said there's a driveway in between a pizza place and a hairdresser.' Katherine said as she looked carefully out of the window.

'There.' Amy pointed. 'What's that?' They all looked a few shops down and saw the pizza place. Katherine turned down the side of it through the buildings. As they drove down, they were all suddenly hit with a wave of nausea.

'What was that?' Dani asked, hand on her stomach.

'I think we just passed through the barrier.' Katherine said.

'Demon magic is weird.' Lauren said as they stopped in front of a small, two storey house.

'It looks like a regular house.' Lisa said.

'Wendy did want a normal life so I'd expect nothing less.' Katherine reminded them.

'Chris.' Amy said, gently moving the hair from Christina's face. 'Come on, time to wake up.' Christina groaned as he eyes fluttered open, taking in her surroundings.

'Where are we?' She asked, sitting up and rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Just then, Wendy appeared at her front door to greet them. Christina did a double take before turning to her sisters. 'Really?' She asked.

'Trust us.' Katherine said. Christina sighed but nodded as they all left the vehicle.

'Hello girls.' Wendy smiled at them as they approached but they did not return the gesture. 'I know you may be a little sceptical of me.....'

'A little? Try a lot.' Lauren said.

'That's fair.' Wendy said. 'But I want to make amends, or try to if you'll let me.'

'If we had anywhere else to go, we wouldn't be here.' Katherine told her.

'I know that, but I regret not helping you with Belial when you asked. Let me do the right thing this time.' She got a few stunted nods from the group as she looked them over. 'I have missed you girls, I always loved it when you came to the store.' Her smile faltered slightly when she got to Christina. She took a step towards her, but Christina stepped back.

'It's been a long few days Wendy, can we please go inside?' Amy said, drawing her focus.

'Of course.' Wendy said. 'Please, follow me.' She led them into the house, and ushered them into the living room. 'Everyone sit, I'll make some tea.' She smiled. Lauren studied the room before turning to her sisters.

'This is creepily human.' She said, sitting on the sofa next to Christina. There were family pictures on the walls, a bowl of sweets on the coffee table, and a hand sculpted wooden giraffe standing beside the television. Christina set her head down on Lauren's shoulder as the rest of the girls spread out around the room. 'Still tired?' Lauren whispered to her. Christina nodded as her eyes closed. They opened abruptly as she heard the rattling of a tea tray. She sat up straight and watched as Wendy put the tray down and started pouring them all cups. She handed the tea around, but no one drank it right away. Dani smelled hers before looking to Katherine for reassurance.

'It's not poisoned.' Wendy said, taking a sip from her own cup. Katherine sipped hers and the others followed her lead. They sat in silence for a little while before Lisa started to make conversation.

'So, where's your husband?' She asked.

'He's on a business trip in London so he won't be back for a few more days.' Wendy told them. 'And both of my kids are grown up now and live elsewhere.'

'Right.' Lisa smiled.

'My oldest just had a baby boy.' Wendy beamed, handing Lisa a picture. 'His name is Joseph.'