Schmusebarchen

The sound of the water flowing downstream paired with the stone steps and thick bamboo forest gave off a serene atmosphere that you never would've thought you could find in Tokyo. After all, Tokyo is a huge metropolitan that is bustling with life even in the late hours of the night.

Golden leaves danced in the air before landing on the ground or in the stream. Gentle breezes readily caress your body, soothing the tiredness steadily creeping onto you with each step you take on the stone steps. You were getting sick and tired of watching your feet move from one step to another so you shifted your gaze to look up - up to the man in front of you.

His broad shoulders stood proud and mighty, his back looked strong and dependable, his messy black hair swayed beautifully with the wind oh who am I kidding? His hair needs a blow dryer and a comb and professional help and blessed prayers from monks and priests and imams - you get the drift, the boy has messy hair. Like really, messy hair.

Focusing the last bit of energy you have left to spare, you took and deep breath and groaned, "are we there yeeeeeeeeeet?" And like the last 39 times you asked since you started walking, he ignores you and keeps walking. You walked through golden and green forests, you saw bamboo trees lining the trail, big roots formed walls beside you and little flowers bloomed along the handrails of the trail. It was wonderful but you've just about had enough of walking aimlessly through this forest.

You sighed aloud in a very exaggerated manner before asking the same question for the 40th consecutive time today. "Akaashi-kun, are we there yet? We've been walking forever and the sun is setting," you complain wholeheartedly. Perhaps the 40th time was the charm because Akaashi finally sighed and stopped in his tracks. He turned around and looked at you dead in the eyes. You flinched and prepared yourself for the worst possible outcome.

"Just a little bit more, okay?" He had a determined look in his eyes but his gaze was soft yet firm. You pout but nodded and continued walking anyway. The trees and plants were starting to get smaller and more scarce, the air was turning too chilly for comfort and the sun was starting to set and suddenly your whole world was painted in a brilliant warm spectrum of orange and yellow.

About 10 minutes of walking past before you finally reach a level plain. A meadow of tall green grass with dusty white tips revealed itself before your eyes and you couldn't help but be mesmerized by the sight of it all. The last moments of the sunset painted the sky a rich purple before turning darker into a shade a navy blue and suddenly it was dark.

Being outside in nature and not being able to see anything was very unsettling. "Akaashi-kun?" You called out, your voice a little shaky. There was no answer. You decided to call out to him one more time before panicking. "Akaashi-kun?" You call out again, this time a little louder.

One by one, little fuzzy balls of light started to pop up far below where you were standing. Red and yellow rays moved in parallel lines going in opposite directions. The view that was once dark now came to life with the lights illuminating the night sky and a pair hands gently dropped on your shoulders.

"Surprise," his soft voice held a warmth that was only reserved for those closest to him. You leaned into him and he allowed his hands to drop from your shoulders to envelop you in a back hug. His warm embrace made the whole hike up here worth it - I mean don't get me wrong, the whole scenery was great and all but those are just bonuses compared to a back hug from the infamous Akaashi Keiji-sama who is believed to be an emotionless humanoid robot built for the sole purpose of playing volleyball.

"You know you can call me by my given name, right?"

His question sent your head spinning, you were 1000% flustered right now. He took the silence as a sign to continue.

"I mean we've been dating for almost half a year now, how long are you going to keep addressing me so formally?" He rested his chin on top of your head and let out a long breath.

"B-but Akaashi-kun," you stuttered. "If you keep being so formal like that, it feels like we're not even dating," Akaashi sighed.

You pout, not that he can see it, thank god he can't see it because that would be so embarrassing oh my god. "But I'm shy," you mumbled quietly.

Akaashi chuckled at your flustered behavior. He loved when you got all shy like this, it got him to act in ways he never knew he could. It made him so out of character but that's his favorite part of it all.

"If you're not gonna call me by my given name then I'll stop calling you by your given name," he stated firmly. He felt your body relax in his arms and he smirked. "I'll call you pet names like babe or pudding cup or schmusebarchen instead," he almost sang the words as they chacha'd right out of his cute little mouth.

You paled at the list of hideous pet names he just uttered. Seriously, what in the name of Betsy's heaven is 'schmusebarchen' anyway? You figured the safest choice to preserve your social life in the future would be to just call him by his given name, surely it would be far better than being called 'schmusebarchen' in public.

Steeling your resolve, you step away from him and turned around to face him. The lights from below illuminated his face in a soft blue-white hue. You exhale sharply, making him raise an eyebrow. Brows furrowed, you made a new attempt. Though it failed spectacularly when the only thing that rang through your vocal chords was a whiny 'hnnng'. Oh man, he's gonna tease me about this for the next 5 years gaaaaah, you internally facepalmed yourself.

Your self loathe session was interrupted with a silent chuckle coming from in front of you. You glared at him and growl.

"Keiji."

He froze in his spot. A sense of impending doom befalling him.

"What are you laughing at," you pause, staring at him with a blank expression, menace glinting wildly through your irises. "Kei. Ji. Kun," you smiled sickeningly sweet, tilting your head cutely.

Akaashi stared at you for a while before realization finally hit him. You called him by his given name. A smile slowly settled on his face and he tackled you in a bear hug. He held you so tight it squeezed all the frustration you felt earlier right out of your system.

"I love you, schmusebarchen."

The smack that landed on his face felt much like one of Bokuto-san's spikes, not that he ever took one of his spikes on the face, but that's not the point. The point is that the smack was very well-deserved and Akaashi knows he wouldn't have it any other way.

"The stars look beautiful tonight, you wanna camp out?"

"I spiked your face once there's no saying I can't spike it again."

And the two lovers let the moments pass gazing at the stars above and the lights illuminating the civilization below.