Chapter 2

I wake up automatically at six in the morning, without an alarm, since my body is already trained for daily routines. I start my day with an hour exercise, a shower and a meal. I leave my large home and head for the UNSC base, to start working for the day. As I enter the large building made of rare metals and everything-proof glass, most people in the building greet me with obvious respect. I keep my head held high and my posture strong, as I was trained and keep my pace quick and agile towards the elevator. As I wait with two workers for the elevator the reach the ground floor, I get a notification on my highly advanced watch. The notification is from Dr.Halsey, the woman who is responsible for creating me and my fellow spartans. The message indicates that she wishes to speak with me immediately in her office. I enter the elevator with the workers and stand at the doors with my hands together behind my back (at ease). The workers press the button to their floor and I tell them my floor, to which they press the designated button. After the workers get off on their floor, I am left alone on the elevator as it travels quickly to the top floor. As soon as I exit the metal box, I head straight to my creator's glass office. She signals me inside eagerly when she sees my presences at her transparent door. Dr. Halsey is an older woman with gray hair in a bob, pale skin and many wrinkles on her face, arms and hands. She's wearing a white long-legged white jumpsuit and a very expensive looking chunky gold necklace. She greets me with a short hug. She keeps her hand on my armored forearm and sighs deeply, letting me see the worry in her eyes.

"Doctor, what is troubling you?" I ask with a steady voice.

She sighs again and runs her hand through her short hair, walking over to her pristine desk setup. She projects a representation of one of our satellites' image. The image shows a few farther off planets that the UNSC don't really speak about since they've never caused us a problem or are involved in our exportations. However, I notice something unusual about the image. Dr. Halsey looks to me expectantly as I advanced slowly towards the projection. There's a small dot, almost off the grid. The dot is not a star, nor a planet I recognize.

"An unknown planet." I conclude after composing myself. She nods and looks to the projection and uses a remote to make the unknown more visible.

"John, as you know, we've discovered a countless amount of planets, some very rare. However, only two years ago, we discovered an extremely rare planet. You scoped out the planet and concluded that there was no threat. I, of course have done many months of research on that type of planet. The thing that makes these types of planets different, is that every couple hundred years, these planets will lose their place in space, causing it to sometimes appear to our satellites. I believe that this is one of those cases. You were very successful in concluding that planet into our 'non-threat' category, alone. So, I'd like you to define this new planet to us by paying it a visit. I know you prefer to work alone, but if you would like to have a team go with you, you know you always have that option."

"I don't need a team, Doctor. I'll be on my way as soon as you wish it."

She smiles lightly at me and leads me out of her office by my forearm, ordering me to get rested up, for I will be leaving tomorrow. When I get home, I do as she says and try to get some rest. It's hard at first because something about this unknown planet is bothering my thoughts.