Chapter One

It was a common misconception that Calypso's island, Ogygia, was in the middle of the ocean, an Atlantis above the water. In reality, it was far below the surface of the earth. In a massive cavern, it lay surrounded by miles and miles of open water. The cavern was so high, that it appeared to go up for miles. It was enchanted with a fog of sorts that fools heroes, and sometimes even Calypso could be tricked into believing it was the actual sky. But the fog reflected what the sky looked like that day, at least as far as Calypso knew. But if she looked hard enough, she could see many beautiful gems and jewels buried in the walls of the cavern, and stalactites hanging beautifully, almost glowing.

She was not sure how heroes came and went, but knew that somehow their raft was transported in and out of the earth's crust. She didn't concern herself with it, imagining that it was the work of the traveler god, Hermes.

Calypso was happy on her island, once she removed herself from the constant knowledge of her isolation and abandonment. It was a beautiful place. The island itself was quite magical, and oftentimes Calypso wondered if it had a soul. It would not have surprised her. A vast and magical forest grew there, eternally in autumn colors. The enchanted animals all rested there. Many should have been hostile, but they were all friendly to Calypso. This all lay to the west side of Ogygia. In the south, there was a beautiful beach, with the purest white of sand, and shells that shone like jewels. In the west, there was a small mountain with beautiful caves in which Calypso and her guests resided. In the north there were bubbling hot springs, some that flowed out into the ocean, some that remained closed off.

In the center of her island, there was a hearth, made of bricks inlaid with gold and gems. A fire burned there, untouched by rain, wind, or other elements. The air always smelled of herbs and ocean breeze, bonfires, and autumn leaves. And Calypso lived there, happy, but lonely. Until one day.

On that day, a gorgeous ship arrived at Calypso's island, unknown to Calypso, of course. Seashell wind chimes hung in the trees, chiming melodically in the light, sunset breeze. Calypso cooked a delicious meal over the hearth, as the sun set behind her. She sang along to the chorus of chimes as she worked. As she did so, she glanced around to admire her land, it was a truly beautiful place after all, turning all around before she looked to the south, towards the beach. She turned just in time, in fact, to see the ship arrive by the small fishing dock. Yelling out in frustration, she threw down her spoon and ran towards the beach. It had been many hundreds of years since Odysseus left her, and she has been visited by a few men in his absence. All had chosen their lovers over her, and when the last one took his leave, she swore she would not take another heartbreak, saying it would kill her.

Cursing the gods' names beneath her breath, she walked down to the boat. As she approached, she saw a woman climbing out of the ship. She gasped in surprise, as there clearly was no man on the boat, and only the girl, who walked toward her, looking dazed.

"Hello, I'm sorry to disturb your peace, but is there anything here for me to drink?" The girl asks. Calypso furrows her brow.

"Do you have a male companion with you?"

"I don't." The girl said, "Will that be a problem?" There was a hint of rebellion and frustration to her voice. Calypso decided against further inquiry.

"No, all is well. You are safe here. My name is Calypso, follow me and I will get some food and drink for you. You seem unwell."

"Thank you. My name is Melina." Melina smiled at her, and then suddenly, collapsed to the ground, unconscious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hello, not-so-imaginary-readers! I see so far a few people have actually decided to read what I've written which is beyond confusing, but also exciting. If you're here, thanks!

Now obviously posting two nights in a row is a little ridiculous, and posting every night wouldn't be attainable, but I figured that I should leave you with more than a prologue to start, especially since I have it written. So enjoy!

I hope you're growing to like Calypso already, and I can't wait to write more of Melina, cause she has a really fun backstory that I'm excited to play around with.

Peace, love, and baby ducks,

~E.M.