we gamble with desire

Liam thought his life was going just fine, thank you very much. He'd gotten into his first choice uni four years ago, and is doing better than okay in all of his classes (except Maths but he's still passing so he counts that as a win). He's on the track to graduate with a Music degree in the spring, with a concentration in Entrepreneurship (that could turn into its own degree if he takes a couple extra classes) and someday wants to open his own...something. Studio? Production company? He doesn't quite know yet, but he's got a few months to figure it out. He's got his three best mates that he's met over the last few years, and he honestly much prefers having a few close mates than a lot of mates who are more like acquaintances. He likes only having to text three people to see if any of them want to go out with him on the weekends, and even if they all say no, at least one of them will invite him around to theirs for a movie or just to hang out. Sometimes they order takeaway and usually end the night with a bit of a cuddle on the couch, something Liam has recently discovered he quite likes to do with his friends.

It's early one Friday afternoon when Liam's done with his classes that he pulls up the group chat Harry had created when she'd joined the group, stating that it was easier to send one message to all three of the others than to send the same message three separate times. "What if you don't want the others to see your conversation?" Niall had asked. "Like if we're planning a surprise or summat?" Harry had fixed him with a look and said, in what Liam has since mentally coined her Captain Obvious voice, "Then you talk about it in a separate conversation." Niall had nodded his head like she'd made a good point, and Louis had started cackling because "you really hadn't thought of that, Niall?"

Liam types out a message like he does every Friday when they haven't yet made plans for the weekend: anybodyyy want to come out with meee tonightttttttt??? He sends his message and waits, knowing that at least Niall would text back right away if he wasn't busy because he somehow scheduled his classes so that he doesn't have any on Mondays or Fridays. Lucky bastard.

True to form, Liam's mobile vibrates not even a minute later with a message from Niall: sounds sick mate ! i'm down . what time ?

Right as he's texting Niall back, he gets a message from Harry: I have plans with a girl from my maths class but I'm sure she won't mind joining us. I'll text her and see if she's okay with it.

Liam waits a little bit to hear back from Harry, and Louis texts back two messages in the meantime, one right after the other: I could use a boy's night. well, plus Haz and her friend. Then: hey Haz is she that fit bird I saw you with yesterday?

Harry: Zayn says she'll come out with us. she needs some new friends and I guess you lot'll do.

Harry: yeah Lou she is. I'm gonna tell her you think she's fit :P

Louis: tell her Nialler and Liam do too cuz I know they will.

Niall: what do you mean "you lot'll do"? I'm hurt Haz XD

Louis: yeah that's a bit offensive mate. me and Liam are great friends.

Niall: hey what about me??

Louis: you'll do

Harry: you'll do

Liam laughs at Louis and Harry telling Niall the same thing at the same time, then decides that he should probably say something since he's the one who started the conversation in the first place.

Liam: Niallerrrrrrrr I'll be your frienddddddddd :))))))) louis how do you know me and Niall will think shes fit???????

Niall: cheers mate . i'll buy you a pint for bein my friend