Prologue

I watch people.

One might think, "Well, that's not creepy at all," in a tone thick with sarcasm and a hint of disgust but it is what I do. It's all I've ever known and it's all that I've ever done.

There was nothing before this.

I've tried to figure out why me, what happened, how I became. . . whatever I am. I tried for a long time but ultimately, the only thing I can remember is my name: Sebastian, and I am a Watcher. Or at least, that's what my kind calls me. Personally, I prefer the term 'Traveler,' but I didn't make the rules and I certainly didn't come up with the silly classification system that we use. It just seems to me that if one can go anywhere on the planet with just a thought, then they should be called what they are.

However, logic makes no sense here. In this universe, we are called by what we do.

I don't eat.

I don't sleep.

I just watch.

And I like watching people most of all.

Human beings are strange, wild and untameable. You can force them to be a cog in the machine, doing what they need to in order to survive—going through the daily grind of a monotonous life. Their robotic movements through time, day in and day out, sheep moving amongst sheep but you cannot break the soul. Deep, underneath all that skin, bone and blood is a light that can't be extinguished. Some are blindingly bright and some are dim and waning but that light is always there. It never leaves. They laugh, they cry, they scream, they smile, they love. They endure. A whirlwind of different emotions in a world that I can never fully be a part of. The human spirit is resilient and beautiful and that's why I watch.

Or at least I did, until I saw her.

I need her to know me.