II

Trapped In The Shadows of Doubt

I stared in the mirror, self pity becoming the only thing running though my head. I've been told by many people that I'm "pretty" or "cute" but I know they're only saying it so that I feel better about myself but it never lasts long. Especially not when the popular girls of my grade come barging past me and knocking my books out of my hand calling me a "slag" or a "sket". I know that it's not true but I still can't help but wonder if I've done something wrong with my life.

The sound of my name being called from the floor below distracted me from my thoughts. I followed where the voice was coming from until I stopped at the door which my mother was standing by.

"A friend has come to see you." My mother smiled as though she thought I didn't have any friends. I felt a frown appear on my face but I shook it off and poked my head around the door. It was Stella.

"Hey Stella." I smiled. "What's up?"

"I have the "Yeet". Wanna go to the park?" Stella asked

"Can I?" I looked up to my mother in a hopeful glance. She sighed and didn't say anything for a while as if she was trying to figure out what to say.

"It depends on what this "Yeet" is." My mother frowned

"Food"
"Homework"

My mum gave us both an unimpressed look. She obviously knew we were up to something.

"It's homework!"
"It's food!"

Me and Stella glared at each other with venom in our expressions. We then started laughing uncontrollably. My mother cocked a brow at us and shrugged, clearly giving up.

"Be back by five, no later." My mother said as she walked away and into the kitchen.

"Thanks!" I called out

***

"So, Holly, did you figure out who the note was from?" Stella asked as she took a puff from her cigarette. She breathed it in and blew it back out again. I honestly admired her 'I don't give a fuck' attitude.

"No, there's just so many people in my class who could have done it." I frowned taking a puff from my own cigarette. The weed was starting to kick in as I felt my head getting lighter.

"Want to know something?" Stella asked

"Sure." I said

"You think too much." She laughed. "It could have been your teacher, she knows how much you pity yourself. All of your teachers do."

"I don't pity myself."

"You do, Holly. It's obvious."

Me and Stella both let out a sigh. I looked up at her, my eyes beginning to sting. Her eyebrows tilted in a worried expression, she came over and gave me a hug.

"You're the kid in the corner trapped in the shadows of doubt. You can get over it though, you and me both know that." Stella said

"Yeah, I guess you're right."